ripples on screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ripples on screen

i got a strange problem. there are small ripples on my screen, they can be clearly seen especially on the left/right side of windows. since i can't make a screenshot of them i tried to simulate them in photoshop:

they look pretty much like this, just much smaller (1/10). and they are in motion, that means one moment it is like this:

<
    |
    |
    >
    <
    >

and a millisecond later:

|
    >
    <
    |
    <

now first i thought my g400 was broken or sth. so i put a gf2mx in, same problem. the thing is i can probably easily track the problem down by exchanging all parts (monitor (iiyama visionmaster 450), bnc cable, etc.) but i dont really have any spare parts lying around.
    nothing in my setup changed, no new electronic devices in the room.

so whats most likely the cause of this?
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

RF interference (ie EMI) could be caused by adjacient monitors, cell phones, etc.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Does it go away if you wiggle the cables, or if you give your monitor a slap from one side? If so, it's a bad contact, if your monitor is still under warranty (Iiyama gives three years), you should RMA it. you'll get an exchange monitor for the time, and they pick your old one up at your site and bring it back to you. I've just had this done with my 452 because of a different problem

If the problems gets worse when there is more text next to the "wiggling", it's another indication for this problem.

If it's across the whole screen, but not alwaysthere (or not always visible), and most noticeable on fonts with high contrast to the background, I have the same problem, but don't know where it comes from. I've moved, and the problem didn't go away. There was no cell phone near the monitor (and if there was, it didn't have any impact, Iiyamas are shielded quite well), no wireless anything near it.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I thought I was losing my monitor once and it turned out my PS was going bad.
        MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
        Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
        512MB regular Crucial PC2100
        Matrox P
        X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
        LianLiPC70

Comment

That's strange I've been having the same problem, I found a fix for mine. The problem only arises if I use a triplehead desktop with the Parhelia, if I lop off one monitor and go to DualHead it disappears.

Comment

I get the same problem. Though I only notice it if I drink a lot of Ouzo... and slamming the monitor very hard didn't help either

Comment

LOL
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hah Ouzo! That brings back some excursion memories from Greece

On more serious note: as others pointed out, it is most probably an interference or bad connection problem.

Comment

Ok, say we have 3 monitors causing RFI/EMI. How do we implement more shielding? Stick a lead pillar in between them?

P.
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

That would impose some problems to surround gaming . I thought computer monitor should be shielded pretty well by default

Comment

i just checked the voltages, they seem to be normal:

+3.3V - 3.33V
                      +5V - 4.99V
                      +12V - 12.27V
                      -12V - -12.49V

will try SUB-D instead of BNC tomorrow and try the monitor on someone elses computer.

can this theoretically also be a flaky motherboard?

Comment

p.s

az, yes it's all over the screen. especially visible on lines with a high contrast (black/white).

i already noticed this phenomen months ago but it was only visible in the startmenu, and not noticeable if you didn't put your eye VERY close to it. and then from one day to the other it is everyhwere and much stronger.

Comment

Try wiggling the cables (this is easier with DSUB, obviously ), giving your monitor a slap (Iiyama support told me of this procedure ), or shaking your monitor slightly.

Get on the phone with Iiyama, or use their support form. They'll contact you by e-mail and will pick up your monitor at a date and time that suits you. You'll get a good (mine was good, was a Pro 451) replacement monitor until yours is repaired, then the pickup procedure repeats. Iiyama support is very good

AZ

Comment

i changed the cables, slapped and shook it but it doesnt help. it helps when i set the refresh to 60Hz or when i lower the resolution, and if resolution and refresh rate are low enough it eventually dissapears. so it seems to be a bandwidth problem.

unfortunately i dont have the recipe anymore and i think it is older then 3 years anyway

Comment

They will repair it for ~50-100 eur with pick-up service after the warranty period, IIRC.

Have you tried a HIGHER freq?

AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X