Booting Linux with W2K bootloader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booting Linux with W2K bootloader?

I found a Page on windows2000faq.com describing how to do this ( with ofcoarse a lot of commen't on how yucky linux was )...
    But it seems to have been pulled and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to or knows of any other site that describes how to???
    Last edited by Technoid; 24 September 2002, 09:43.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Do you have a working link?
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

hmm.. just install the bootloader on some other place than MBR (/dev/hda4 for exsample), then copy the bootloader to a file.

exsample :
      dd if=/dev/hda4 of=bootsect.lin bs=512 count=1

then copy bootsect.lin file to c:\ (or something like that)
      and add a line to boot.ini (not sure if there should be '=' between filename and entryname..) :
      c:\bootsect.lin "Linux!"

and there you go..
      every time you change the bootsector you must copy it again to c: (meaning every time you build a new kernel and so on.. )

I think that if you make a bootsector file that points directly to hda4 then you wouldn't have to copy the bootsector every time to a new file.. (just an idea..)
      Last edited by Hefa; 24 September 2002, 12:26.
      AMDXP1700+@2000Mhz/EP-8K3A+/Maxtor120GB/512MB DDR/Matox Parhelia 128MB Retail
      And a REAL OS: Gentoo Linux

Comment

Thanx Hefa
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Why not just use LILO or Grub to boot win2k?

Comment

Why not just use LILO or Grub to boot win2k?
            Because it would be too easy..
            AMDXP1700+@2000Mhz/EP-8K3A+/Maxtor120GB/512MB DDR/Matox Parhelia 128MB Retail
            And a REAL OS: Gentoo Linux

Comment

Have you seen what happens when one your drives goes for a walk. You get your screen full of lilo error messages and you can't boot into any OS.
              This is one of the reasons it's better to edit your bootloader and then if a hard drive disappears at least you maybe able to boot into another os depending of course which hard drive disappears.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

With LILO, you may have that problem since it depends on BIOS drive order. But I don't see that problem existing with GRUB. Even if it can't figure out how to boot the system, it has an interactive serial-aware console built in.

Comment

Working...
                X