Fasttrak66 and bus noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasttrak66 and bus noise

When I first installed my FastTrak66 into my computer I had busnoise when trying to capture video. This was prob due to my SBlive and my via (athlon) motherboard.
    I installed a sb16 isa into my computer then went to win98 and disabled everything else.
    This still didnt solve the problem
    Do you think getting a Awe64 will make any difference?
    is there anything else I can do?

To reduce bus noise you may have to move further away from the highway, or at least close your windows...

Comment

Do you get the same bus noise if you capture just audio, (record using an audio only program)? Also have you tried capturing just audio with PC-VCR or whatever app you use. You may also want to try some really intensive HD and CPU activity in the background (such as encoding something to another codec) and record just audio to see what happens without the capture card in the process and with the bus bandwidth being maxed out.

If there is no noise then it may be that video bandwidth is just overloading the bus, or something with the capture card.

If there is some noise then you could probably isolate it to some kind of interference or the IDE RAID card. It is really hard to troubleshoot without the system in front of you. I also realize that you have had this same problem for a while and apparently my past advice was useless.
      WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Is there anyone with an athlon and fastTrak66 that does not have this bus noise problem?
        if so, what kind of MB do you have?

Comment

I have no such problems with the Asus P3B-F.

Bus noise, strictly defined, is a motherboard/power supply quality issue.

Bus contention is entirely different, having more to do with how many PCI devices are trying to use the resource at once and how they interact as well as how efficiently the chipset handles PCI funcitionality. This has been discussed at length in other threads.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 13 July 2000).]

Comment

is that an athlon MB?
            I only see VIA chipsets from asus.

Comment

Most all of the PIII/133 boards are also VIA chipped. This will change with the i815 chipset, but who knows how screwed up that will be given Intels recent products.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hey doc,

According to www.asus.com the P3B-F is an Intel 440BX-AGP based motherboard. And is not an Athelon board. Did you make a typo?

The FastTrack66 audio noise problems could indeed be an Athelon-Via chipset issue and your setup won't ever see it.

--wally.

Comment

Thats why I was asking if there were any athlon users out there that do not have this problem with bus noise using a fasttrak66 and a marvel g400-tv. if a different MB will solve the prob, I may consider it since I am planning on change MB in the next few months anyways.

Comment

Well....

I've used the Marvel G400-TV with a P3B-F and a Fasttrak33, Fasttrak66 AND a Fasttrak100. The latter with both ATA66 and ATA100 drives. Works fine. Just avoid those #%^(&@! PCI audio cards.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 14 July 2000).]

Comment

Geez, I didn't think my little joke was all that bad. We used to have fun at this forum...*sigh*

Comment

Patrick, I got a good chuckle out of your comment. Forums are just too slow on such things. Need that chatroom ambience for such a good pun.

Comment

Thanks dchip, I'm glad somebody got a chuckle out of it.

This has inspired me to start a thread dealing with the recent lack of "fun" at the forum. Please see:

http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum2/HTML/004419.html

Comment

Working...
                          X