Thread locking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread locking

Is it just my imagination, or has the thread-locking daemon gone into overdrive?
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

I guess you could also say that more dribble has been posted lately too
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

... or that currently the latest tactic is that offense is better than defense, and all the 'potential dribble (drivel, what you say! )' threads are locked before anything can happen
      Last edited by dZeus; 23 September 2002, 12:52.

Comment

Dribble is something you do with a basketball, guys.. drivel is the term you're looking for...

Comment

Dribble is what you do with a football unless you're a Shef Wednesday fan where you look at the ball and go doh???
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

yeah some thread became a bit ugly. i have a proposal though, what about a (sticky?) "UGLY THREAD" where all the ugly stuff can be posted (iraq, us, israel, sports ) and there is a big red warning and a disclaimer.
            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

I'll tell you what let's not. There are alot of other forums out there that you can go to if that is what you want to do.

Joel
              Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
              Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

or just open up a pasword acced forum for this stuff.... call the the trash bin
                "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Or we can just move the ugly thread to a special forum dedicated especially to ugly threads. This might be a bit overkill here on murc, but I have seen it on other messageboards.
                  A warning on the thread is also a good idea.

The problem is that alot of murcers have very different views on those inflamable subjects, and it always ends with alot of murcers ganging together against the minority, and in the end drive them away from murc.

do we have the required selfdicipline to accept people who has VERY different opinions than ourselves, and different ethics and morality standards than ourselves?
                  an extreme hypothetic example: would we accept and be able to calmly discuss views, that we feel is really REALLY wrong, without any namecalling and personal attacks, and keep the friendly tone that is so rare on internet messageboards?
                  That is pretty hard to do.

there will always be a point where a thread is better left locked.
                  This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

As I was saying to someone else earlier today, there seems to be about 3 or 4 people, not naming names but if you feel like I am talking about you then you may be right , who only tend to show up on threads containing certain subject matters and those are the threads that tend to get closed or deleted because of how they tend to head down hill after that.

Like I said if that is the kind of debates y'all wish to get into then there are plenty of other messageboards out there for it.

Joel
                    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I don't see how the last thread closed has spiraled down in any way. What I saw was several people that may have experienced similar situations with dogbert trying to help him out. Actually 90% of the posters in the thread were advising him to talk to the guy. How can that be bad? Even the other thread about the German Official. All of them were civilized and we were having good dicscussions. Do you prefer we talk about the last episode of The Sopranos or Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Now honestly I like these discusions because they are very insightful and the fact that here in the MURC we have so many people from different backgrounds and beliefs makes it even more interesting and I would say enlightening. For example I never knew about the Australian Government fiasco with the aborigines. That was an interesting read!

Don't proclaim the patient dead before surgery!!

Comment

bore open my skull and talk buffy......

It seems about all that can be discussed these days

I know that I am probably one of the posters that Joel was referring to...

I know also that I have PM'ed many of the people involved in my posts, to confirm that I didnt overstep the mark.

I'm sorry if you dont like what I have to say, but I am still going to say it and Ill not use foul language to say it.

My tuppence worth....
                        RedRed
                        Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

BTW Joel -

Just because I make a post - does this mean that the thread will get locked? you as good as said that (I just revisited Dogberts post).

Are you serious?

What was said that was out of order?

or will you lock this one as well now?

Regards
                          RedRed
                          Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Redred, honestly, I don't think it was because of any of your posts. At leason not in this thread

Comment

Speaking of TV, the BEST thing I saw is on the BBC. I don't remember the name but it's about 3 guys and 3 gals. This stuff is so witty and hilarious !

I think it's called match making or something like that.

Best funniest thing I've seen on TV up to date.
                              B4 you ask, yes - I like british humor.

Comment

Working...
                              X