This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God save the blokes

The Washington Times delivers breaking news and commentary on the issues that affect the future of our nation.

Very interesting read. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Disagree entirely (with the article). The article present the British media as anti-american, and the rest of the population as pro-american. For a start it's not that simple. Secondly, the Tory and New Lab Politicians seem to be the only really pro-americans around. Yes, the media and the "chattering classes in London" are quite anti-US-arrogance at the moment (I can vouch for that). But the "blokes" in the main don't really care much. There is a certain sympathy around regarding 9/11, but really I find people no more "pro-US" than "anti-EU" or anything else. The only pervading element is a certain dispassionate disinterest.

Probably
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I both agree and disagree with the article.
        I dont think the British media is quite as anti-American biased as the author makes out, although admittedly I dont read the papers or watch TV news much.
        In the same manner, I agree with GNEP that the overall mood seems to be one of jaded indifference, although I expect that will change once the army goes in.
        Much of the indifference seems to be down to the way the American media deals with war : because the forces involved are largely american and thus frequently commanded by an American, all the other nations involved tend to be rather relegated to a bit part. For a nation that once owned the largest empire in the history of mankind and had enjoyed some sucess in the art of war, it tends to come a bit hard to be reduced to the role of holding America's coat, even if it isnt the case.
        The recent Afghanistan campaign is a case in point. The Americans did all the work (so it seemed) while we had a battallion of Royal Marines wandering around the mountains with dustpans and brushes.
        Consider the Gulf War : the UK 1st Armoured Division formed an integral part of the steel fist that was used to crush Iraq's elite republican guard. They fought hard, didnt lose a single tank to enemy action, and were very much appreciated by the General in charge (F.Franks, now retired).
        What did we see at home? Lots of pics of american jets and helicopters bombing the crap out of fleeing Iraqis, and quite a bit about a 8 man SAS team who's patrol went tits-up in spectacular fashion.
        And the Hollywood image of the average american soldier being a gung-ho moron who's answer to any problem is to machine gun it or call in an airstrike definately does not help.
        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Working...
        X