This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't flame here

I'll start by asking not to go off topic, ranting etc or I'll delete this thread if no one blocks it before me.

The story:

I work in QA - computers. Among the many workers here, there is n Isreli Arab (muslim). He's a real non threatening geek.

In a private conversation about current situation, he told his team manager, with all seriousness, that even though he's working with computers and earns more than enough, if things get worse and he feels that 'falastine' or 'Al-Aqsa' is in real danger, he do whatever needs to be done - strap explosives on and blow whatever / whoever needs to be blown away.

The problem:

If he thinks that way (we're talking about a well educated person with a very good sallary) I have now no doubt about the rest. which in turn means that if he decides to do "what needs to be done", he'll have little problem getting all the explosives he needs.
    I sit 20 meters from him. It's nice to believe that his workplace and the people he knows and works with might not be a preferable target, but I wouldn't be too happy to know some kid got wounded or died in my place just because the killer preferred not to kill people he knew.
    I can't "go to the authorities" cause if they arrest him (educated well earning computer geek) they'll have to arrest all muslim Israeli arabs as well.

Thank god I still have this delusion of "it won't happen to me", but I wonder, in a sane world what would I be supposed to do ?

I should add that nobody promises he will actually do anything anytime. More than that, being a geek, nobody cn guarantee that even if he decides to do something, he won't chicken out in the moment of truth.

It's only a potential, but if until now it was a speculated potential, now it's more of a threat.

Comment

maybe stupid question, but have you talked to him?
      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

About that subject, no.

I was told about it not as gossip but in a debate I had with his manager about racism and the situation. He told me about it to show me how fragile things really are, that even a fellow worker admits such things.

Comment

If I were you, I would just pack up and get out of the country. I mean let's face it, living in Israel is a major liability nowadays...of course, you must have your family and friends to think about but personally, if my surrounding environment got so explosive, I would not think twice....I would just try to convince as many of my friends and relatives to come along. It probably won't work in your case, it's just my opinion....
          All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Hehe, and go where ?

Comment

Go to Yorkshire. I've heard it's lovely there.
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Cuba is really nice this time of the year
                All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Dogbert, sorry to say this, but...stay there and hope all goes right.

Because
                  1) Every man on earth can be a potential killer
                  2) Usually the one who say a thing like that, don't act
                  3) Hebrew are the 'cause of all their problems, so hebrew must face them and not flee. But, if you think your people are wrong and you disagree with them, leave Israeli and move to...boh...Portugal?
                  Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogbert
                    Hehe, and go where ?
                    Wolverhampton, just watch out for the earthquakes
                    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Belfast is quite nice

Seriously - he has said he is willing to die for his country - big Freakin surprise.... You have done your national service - your are too....

He believes that some time he will have his own country back - there is no significant difference. He didnt say he was going to do it - I assume he said he was willing to if he felt he needed to defend his people- there is a world of difference.

Its not to do with how much someone earns which defined whether they fight for their country - even through terrorist acts.

Its about feeling helpless and hopeless -not necessarially extreemist and fundimentalist.

Regards
                      RedRed
                      Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

dogbert

i think you might have reservations taking this from me but gosip or news i would sugest you talk to the guy... and i dont meen talk to him offencivly.. i mean straight talk... give and take.. try to understand him... try to make him understand without using either force or anger..... you might just be surprised.....

i know how it feels belive me ... we here in lebanon still have a lot of bulshit hoing on between the difrent factions and when two peole who usualy would not talk about shuch things sit down and talk they find that they are not so difrent in view....
                        "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

i agree with SD.. someone needs to have a talk with this guy.. a long talk.. and maybe even not in the work place

moving is the easy way out. you shouldnt have to think you need to move away from your home because you are scared to live there.
                          www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Redred & Spiral,

I don't need to talk with him about it. I know why he said it.
                            Leaving all arguments aside, as a muslim, he sees El-Aqsa as a supreme holy place. As an (Israeli) Arab, he sees this land as his and his ancestor's land.
                            He's feeling supressed both politicly and religiously.

Again, arguments aside, his point of view is 100% clear to me.

The point which I fail to see is WHY fighting back would mean blowing up citizens ?
                            It reminds me of this radical jewish underground movement that wanted to poison German water sources as a revenge. They were a stupid radical minority. Even the people here who hate Germany, wish them dead but would never take action to hurt a single German just because he's a German.

So once again, I understand where his anger comes from and everything. I fail to understand such as action against unarmed civilians.

Comment

ok you might understand why... but someone still needs to talk to him about it.. maybe not why but more on the lines of reasoning with him
                              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Working...
                              X