Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First impressions of Gefart 4200

Ok, I'm a heretic.
    I got myself a Gainward 650 goldenshmutz geforce 4200.
    Why ? Cause here it costs 1/3 of a Parhelia and I don't have the $$$ nor the space for 2 more monitors.

My first impressions:
    1. It doesn't work (garbled image and frozen computer as soon as the driver kicks in - w2k login screen)

2. An hour and a half later + a BIOS back to defaults it does work

Reason: The SOB doesn't like 256MB agp aperture shit, 64MB (default) works fine.

3. Getting 60hz in 3D games

4. Trying to fix that with various tools, eventually have to reboot in VGA mode cause as soon as driver kicks in (w2k login screen) my screen shuts down

5. Fixed that shit too

Speed - incredible, after using a G400 this shit is damn fast

Visual quality - In my MAG XJ700T (1024x768x32) almost anything (except for a Cirrus Logic 5446) would look good.

TV in: the stupid thing isn't recognised by TV apps and WinEncoder(?) doesn't support PAL60 for my Sega DC. Back to my PCTV-Studio and Dscaler.

Installation: Wasted too much time getting it to work and then getting it to work *well*.

Overall: It's fast, it's colorfull, it's a damn headache.

Fun parts: 3D Mark 2001 - first time I see the "Nature" bench, wow... cool !

Did you install the vanilla nVidia 30.82 drivers?

Comment

I know a lot of people who are hiving issues with the 4200's. They are mainly because the card does not like very specific, tweaked BIOS settings. AGP 4x, Fast wrties, 32/62 MB AGP Apeture and ... I keep forgetting the name of the last setting, but it's supposed to be DA (AGP something...).

Once the BIOS is set right, and good drivers applied, it works fine. Just make sure you turn off Video sync.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Isochar: I'm using the latest 30.82 drivers.

Jammrock: How and why should I disable v-sync ?

Comment

from etestinglabs.com:

Typically, a 3D game builds an image in one of two (sometimes three) frame buffers. At any given time, the adapter displays the contents of one of the frame buffers (the front buffer) on the screen while the game renders to another frame buffer (the back buffer). When the game has finished rendering the frame, it asks DirectX to swap (flip) the buffers. Normally, the adapter's chipset delays this flip until the adapter sends the next vertical retrace signal to the display. This prevents the display from drawing the contents of two or more buffers in a single refresh period. This mode is called v-sync on, because the flips are synchronized to the vertical retrace signal.

In v-sync off mode, the adapter does not synchronize the flip of the buffers to the next vertical retrace, but instead flips the buffers as soon as possible. As a result, the v-sync off mode saves the adapter from having to delay a flip until the next vertical retrace. V-sync off mode allows the flips to occur at a rate higher than the refresh rate, but at a potential cost: that increase in speed may in turn introduce some visible tearing of the image. Most gamers will use v-sync on mode during actual game play, although those who want every last bit of frame rate will tolerate the tearing.

Rakido
          "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

You just gave the well known reason why to keep v-sync on. I'm curious to know why should I turn it off.

Comment

In game play it's much smoother with Vsync off than on. Normally I leave it off unless watching a DVD, etc.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

You could try NVRT 2.0 to fix the refresh rates.
                on MajorGeeks

Edit: It might not want to go over 85Hz at 640x480. Except that, everything's fine for me in XP with det 40.41.
                Last edited by Admiral; 23 September 2002, 10:12.

Comment

And happy overclocking! My Gainward Ti200 was stable at faster-than-Ti500 speeds.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Dogbert, good to hear you got it running in the end, but I'd say you just struck one of those freakish hardware combinations where stuff goes wrong... either that, or I snagged the exact opposite with my rig!
                    Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Working...
                    X