Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacOSX on PC? Would you?

Interesting article on The Screensavers:

How about it? Given the opportunity, would you run OSX on your Intel PC?

I'd give it a shot. Just to P.O. Brother Bill.

Kevin

Yes, definitely. I'm already running MacOS 8 on the PC sometimes.
    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
    My System
    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
    German ATI-forum

Comment

Yes, if it would work properly. I don't think Jobs would be above making an OS that would be a bit crippled on non-Apple hardware.

Comment

Probably not, I'd rather put my PC in G4 box, it's the only thing they still have.
        System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

I'd definitely dual-boot...
          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I'd like a MorphOS on a Pegasos Dual G4 system.
            It's really a pity that Motorola obviously cannot keep pace with Intel and AMD when it comes to sheer processing power. Still the more than lean MorphOS should minder this.

Still most I'd like a MorphOS system powered by an AMD hammer, equipped with either a Matrox Parhelia or a Radeon9700...
            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
            My System
            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
            German ATI-forum

Comment

Hell I'll try out anything once
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I wonder how driver support would look like for the much wider range of PC hardware....I suppose it would come after release....
                Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                  yeah, what he said... with the exception of heroin...
                  Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                    Originally posted by Agent31

yeah, what he said... with the exception of heroin...
                    So you guys would go to Iraq wearing American Flags and have perverted sex with camels on the main streets of downtown Baghdad?

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                      So you guys would go to Iraq wearing American Flags and have perverted sex with camels on the main streets of downtown Baghdad?
                      about how much money are we talking?
                      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

It would be quite cool if they did...however I shudder at the thought of someone running such a pristine OS on a PcChips VIA mobo...it's a great OS but it will have to go through some SERIOUS betatesting to make it compatible with all the crappy hardware on the market.....they should just release a 1 page compatibility list and leave everyone else in the rain.
                        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

I would use it, but it ain't gonna happen. Apple would die if they tried such a scheme, they live by selling the hardware, not the OS.

If the OS was compatable with the standard X86 stuff, where would Apple make their money? Who would buy the Apple hardware if the OS can run on a regular PC? If they sold only the OS, I don't think they'd win vs. Microsoft. Apple just doesn't have the influence it used to. Sure, they might convert to X86 hardware, but they wouldn't let you just buy the OS and put it on your box, you have to buy an Apple box to do that.

Yes, yes, I'm sure there would be a way around this protection. But would your PC have the support needed to run? Would Mac OS X be all that stable and cool?

Comment

Macs still need to be somewhat competitive in price vs. PCs, so there really isn't as much margin in hardware as there used to be, but software margins are pretty fat.

Comment

I think we already covered this a few weeks ago. Keeping a PC version around is a hell of a bargaining tool for Apple. The same way AOL has been funding Mozilla, but still uses IE - you can bet they're getting a much better deal than if they hadn't.

And if Apple comes out with an x86 version, it won't be a "PC" version. You'll need Apple hardware, to be sure.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X