Overlays w/ G450 and DivX 5.0.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overlays w/ G450 and DivX 5.0.2

Has anyone managed to get DivX 5.0.2 to use an overlay? I've tried all the permutations of the options for the divx codec (YUV Extended Mode and Overlay Extended Mode) as well as the HKCU\Software\DivXNetworks\Force Color M ode registry key to force YUV2 output from the divx decoder, but still can't get it to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it is just that it is impossible and will never work (at least then I won't waste any more time).

Thanks,
    Geoff

Hi Geoff

Try lowering the resolution? Perhaps the size of the width or hight isn't dividable by 16, perhaps others can tell you where to find the tools, or do a search on the forums on DivX.

Good luck
    Peter Aragon
    Matrox Parhelia 128 Retail, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 454, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, Pentium IV 2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB, Maxtor 120GB S-ATA, 512MB Mem, SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, Gigaworks S750 speakers, AOpen DVD-R, Pioneer 16x DVD-106, 3COM 905C Networkcard.

Comment

G4x0 have a well-known overlay problem with video size not dividible by 32 (if I remember well). Nevertheless, the solution exists an is known as the DivXG400 filter, an extremely useful filter, which adds black pixels to such videos amongst other things (playing subs, cutting black borders, changing aspect ratio, and so on). Give it a try, the homepage is here :
      This website is for sale! tac.ee is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, tac.ee has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

OR, you might now have enough available VRAM. Thats if you are using dualhead very high res (or you are using 16mb version!)
        P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
        Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
        And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Unfortunately none of the above suggestions have helped. I already have DivXG400, but it doesn't even get loaded because I can't get the DivX codec to output YUV2 pixels, which is necessary to use DivXG400. I'm pretty sure the clip is a valid size anyway (640xsomething).

I searched the forums already, but all the threads had to do with using DivXG400 to pad the video, which I don't think is the problem here. I even tried using the DirectShow graph editor to manually hook up the output of the DivX Decoder to the DivXG400 filter, but it said that it could not find a compatible data format or something like that.

Does anyone have DVDMax working with DivX 5.0.2? or is there some kind of techinical limitation of DivX 5.0.2 where it cannot use a YUV colorspace overlay even when both the yuv option and the overlay option are checked in the codec settings.

Comment

Strange, I have both G400 and G450 in my comp and get overlay on my 2 monitors with div 5.0.2, DivXG400 btw loads itself on any video. My settings are smooth playback on overlay extended mode on double buffering mode on and Yuv extended mode off BUT I also get an Overlay when enabling this option so...
            Anyway why do you want to use the Yuv extended options since according to the change log @ divx.com it is not that useful (and does nothing special on my system...)

Vervamon

Comment

Hi,

Same as you situation, I couldn't get big video (anything over 320x240 basically) to output as overlay. I've found out the reason to be not enough free VRAM.

First head = 1280x1024x32 = 5MB
              Second head = 1024x768x32 = 3MB
              Overlay layer = 640x480x32x2 (double buffer to second head) = 2.33MB

And I have only allocated 5MB to the second head since my G400 is a 16MB version. You might want to adjust the memory allocation to the second head via the driver, under DualHead -> Advanced Features.
              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I have a G550 and have no probs at all with the G400 filter and overlay output.
                DivX5.02 is fine, as is everything else.
                I have a 32Mb version, and and it is magnificent on the tv-out.
                (still wish my G400 worked tho...)
                PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Thank you all for your help, it does seem to be a memory issue as going down to 16 bits per pixel allowed the overlay to be used. I'm still confused though, because I have a 32 meg card and the way I'm adding things up I don't exceed that. Sorry about not checking out the vid mem possibility earlier, but I figured since I have 32 megs there should have been enough.

I'm not running any dualhead mode except for DVDmax, my resolution on my monitor is 1280x960x32 and the video I was trying to play is 640x360.

<span style="width: 12em"> 1280x960x4</span> = 4800K
                  <span style="width: 12em">640x360x4</span> = 900K
                  ------------------

Which is much less than 32768K or even 16384K if the memory is split between the two heads (which I don't think it should since I'm not using DualHead MultiDisplay). Even if you multiply the ram for the screen by three (in case the back and depth buffers are pre-allocated) it is still only 15300K for the buffers and the video. The biggest frame buffer it will work with is 800x600x32 or 1600x1200x16, which is a 1876K framebuffer, it seems like there ought to be plenty of room to use a larger frame buffer. Is there something I'm not taking into account when adding this stuff up or what?

I also seem to recall being able to play some videos using the overlay while at 1280x960x32 that I cannot anymore.

Thanks
                  Geoff

Comment

Possibilities.

1. Promary display is double-buffered?
                    2. Video out is triple buffered?
                    3. So have you checked out the memory allocation adjustment on the advanced Dualhead -> Advanced Settings -> Capabilities?
                    4. Video out uses the higher resolution than you had expected? (play a big video, then check your monitor's OSD if any)
                    5. Get an utility to check VRAM availability (I found none so far).

or

6. Live with it, I do.

Comment

Working...
                    X