Mmm now why is the hard disk light on all the time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmm now why is the hard disk light on all the time

Well under XP it is under ME it goes off. Wasn't on until Yesterday and the only thing that has changed is a Winblows security update.
    Everything else seems okay.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Do you have indexing service? A virus checker?

If you don't have a virus checker, get one. If you do, switch it off

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I'd suggest you run Ad Aware. Also hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and check for something using most of your resources....
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

XP like to do a lot of crap when your system is idle. SOmetimes even when it's not. Persoanlly, I think it's gathering info to ship of to M$ illegally, but here's another thought:

- System restore. That likes eating cycles and drive time.
        - Indexing service. The biggest drive hog there is.
        - Defrag tool. I can't remember, but I think the defrag tool runs when the screen saver starts. I'd have to check that, but I think it's an option.
        - Auto Winblows Update. When that triggers it does a system scan, thus uses a lot of drive time.
        - Shoddy programming. It is a an M$ app. It does work well, but that doesn't mean it's bug free.

Usually if you kill system restore, auto update and indexing, the drive grinding stops. But you have to kill it in Servcies (under admin tools) for it to truely be gone. I.E. Stop and disable the services.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Ran adware already cleared the normal crap off. The indexing service is one of the first things I turned off when I installed XP. The virus checker wasn't running. Now today the light has gone off.
          Must be a lonely LED.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
          X