Opinions on DVD combo drives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on DVD combo drives?

I'm looking for a DVD combo drive for my sister. I definitely want to get one which has RPC-1 firmware available so she doesn't have to put up with the region coding crap (not that it's likely to bite her, but still). I've looked at the firmware page, but apart from the Plextor drive (which doesn't have RPC-1 firmware anyway), there's nothing listed that I know anything about.

She wants to watch the odd DVD and burn the occasional mix CD (actually probably quite a few mix CDs). It would also be replacing her CD-ROM drive. She's running a fairly slow machine (400MHz K6-III) and she's not going to be using it in great volume, so speed of the drive is not so important as one which reads and writes well and won't break the moment the warranty expires. Bundled software isn't really an issue.

Warnings ("don't get this drive!") as well as recommendations welcome...
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Samsung 308? Very cheap on eBay UK now (brand new), about 50GBP. There is black bezel version too.

Why wouldn't you consider buying seperate DVD and CDRW drives? Same price anyway.
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Trouble with separate drives is she already has three hard drives, and putting in another EIDE controller doesn't seem worth it.

Off to check out the Samsung. Other suggestions still welcome, people...
      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Erm, my experience with them is that it's a pricey option that breaks twice as often, but DOES work as advertised. The Ricoh drives work just fine, although both the ones I've tried have died within a year and a half.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Ricoh replaced my 9120 (12x10x32x8x) 2 months out of warranty after a disc shattered inside it. I've not decided whether over all it points to good or bad; but I did replace the drive with a Yamaha CD writer; I decided I didn't avctually need to bew able to read DVDs.
          MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

I have a Toshiba SD-R1202 in my Shuttle SS51G Box. Nice drive, but I haven't really had chance to beat it yet to see how it will hold up. Couldnt beat it for $80 bucks
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I've got a Pioneer combo drive and its working fine. It was probably the cheapest combo drive I could find.

Comment

Working...
              X