Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake2 + OpenGL (Surround Gaming)

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if anybody really cares about this at all, though it may point to some OpenGL driver issues...

I still like to play some Quake2 deathmatch, and I was really surprised @ how low the performance was with the Parhelia. By itself, I was unable to achieve more than 43 FPS (using a 2.7GHz P4).

I decided to hack around this Quake2 source code, and implement Surround Gaming. No matter what, I still get 42-43 FPS! I've got to believe this is an OpenGL issue, because I cannot fathom getting such low performance...

So, I recognize the fact that this is an old game and all...But the performance results really seem to point towards some driver issue(s), and it seems to me like it might be worthwhile to investigate this issue in order to determine why the performance is so low...?

the only 2 problems I have with quake2 is that the particle-pixels are square-shaped instead of round, and that there are annoying slowdowns when there are explosions on the screen.

I do get a somewhat higher framerate than you, about 67 fps in 1152*864*32(with trilinear filtering)on a p4 2.0ghz.
    I play in singlehead though.

sounds to me like you have v-sync enabled.

I expected the framerate to be much higher though, it is, afterall, an old game.
    Last edited by TdB; 23 September 2002, 06:29.
    This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Yeah...

You know, I noticed that as well...

It _almost_ looks as if the 3D chip is not kicking in...rather it's being performed in software.

Take the railgun....When you fire a shot, you will literally see the rings made up of square dots.

I've got a P4 2.7 GHz setup, and the performance almost always stays @ 42 FPS, regardless of setting.

I think fixing this might fix some potential bugs in other games...

Comment

Has anyone tried any other Q2-based games...if this effects them as well, Matrox would indeed want to fix this....kill many birds with one stone....
        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Yeah looks like we got a bug, not sure if it will be fixed soon since it's an old game but now we know about it. In the meantime, you can run it with gl_dynamic 0 and get over 200 fps

Regards,
          "The opinions or comments expressed by me do not necessary reflect those of Matrox Graphics Inc."

Comment

Is anybody interested in having access to the executables? I can put them "somewhere" if anybody would like to play some Surround Gaming deathmatch action...It may be an old game, but in many respects, I still consider it the best online DM-style game.

ROM...

As I said in a previous exchange, although Quake2 is clearly an old game, there most definitely is a bug. I would look at like you could very well do the ole' "kill 2 birds with 1 stone." Who knows...Perhaps this bug is affecting other titles, or possibly some future ones as well.

In a general sense, there's just no way that one should see performance levels in the 40 FPS neighborhood, especially when you consider how much higher the framerate is on a more advanced Quake3-powered title.

Comment

I hope you guys will fix it soon!
              I renember that I had to disable alot of stuff with my old g400max in glquake,(which BTW runs great on the parhelia)this bug effected hexen2 too, and it was never fixed proberly(turbogl doesnĀ“t count), I really donĀ“t hope I have to go through all this AGAIN with all quake2 engine driven games.

Comment

Originally posted by typedef enum
                As I said in a previous exchange, although Quake2 is clearly an old game, there most definitely is a bug. I would look at like you could very well do the ole' "kill 2 birds with 1 stone." Who knows...Perhaps this bug is affecting other titles, or possibly some future ones as well.
                I second that as a few scene demos have taken full advantage of the Quake2 source code since it's release
                "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

ĀµĆŸeĀ®LĆørƐ - A legend in his underwear
                Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
                DriverHeaven administrator
                PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

ROM...

In a general sense, there's just no way that one should see performance levels in the 40 FPS neighborhood, especially when you consider how much higher the framerate is on a more advanced Quake3-powered title.
                  Hi TypeDef,

just to rephrase what R0M suggested:

Disable dynamic lightning and see Parhelia fly ...

This affects all Q2 based games like Half-Life etc. and as long as you can afford to run without dynamic lighting, it is the faster option.

Major letdown in Half-Life would be that this renders the flashlight useless, but until it is fixed in the drivers, you could always assign a hotkey for toggling dynamic lighting on/off, so that you gain maximum performance where needed and have all lighting when neccessary.
                  Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                  Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                  be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                  4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                  2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                  OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                  4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                  Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                  Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                  LG BH10LS38
                  LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

but I like the dynamic lights.

Comment

Just an update...

I made a post to the official Matrox support forum, and have sent a ZIP file containing all the necessary .exe/DLL's, and some basic instructions.

I hope to hear back from them soon...

The fact that this has apparantly affected Matrox boards since the G400 days really shocks me, to be honest. I mean, this is an issue that you simply cannot ignore?!

Comment

well, the g400 cards ran quake2 and qauke3 just fine, but they had the dynamic-lights-bug in glquake(and hexen2), they fixed it with the turbogl, and for awhile glquake ran great.

however the newer drivers arenĀ“t compatibel with the turbogl, so we have been forced to disable dynamic-ligths in glquake ever since.

appearently, bugfixes for older games has a rather low priority for the driver-guys.

Comment

It's still been investigated, i am pushing to get it fixed but no promises yet, will keep you updated...

Regards,
                          "The opinions or comments expressed by me do not necessary reflect those of Matrox Graphics Inc."

Comment

Re: Quake2 + OpenGL (Surround Gaming)

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if anybody really cares about this at all, though it may point to some OpenGL driver issues...
                            Hiho!

yes, I do care indeed. Quake2 is still my favourite game and I/we play it quite often (daily ;-).

cu,
                            kaasboer

Comment

Can someone give me instructions where/how I should disable dynamic lightning in Counter Strike.

r_dynamic resets to 1 as soon as I change it.

is it cs-specific or does it depend on the server?
                              <font size="-4">User error:
                              Replace user and try again.
                              System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
                              System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
                              </font>

Comment

Working...
                              X