Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of the cold boot crash.

Hi!

A couple of months ago I started a thread in this forum about a cold boot problem. The advice I got was to replace my motherboard which I did. Since then the problem seemed to partly disappeared. But now when it's getting cooler outside it seem to have returned again.

Short description of problem:
    After Windows has started when computer is cold booted the computer crashes after a while. After a restart computer is stable.

The motherboard I replace was my abit kr7a. It was replaced with a abit kr7a-133. I think now that it seem that the motherboard wasn't the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

(It is not the psu, graphic card, sound card or network card.)

The only remaining parts is the cpu, memory, hard disk, dvd and cd-r.

/Leo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
    Asus A8N-E
    Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
    Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
    Lian-Li PC60
    Windows XP Pro 64bit

And the power supply....check that first.
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

He said its not the PSU, but I'd have him check it anyway...
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Had the same problem with a hdd that was formated in the summer....

In the winter it woulden't boot belowe a certin temp, a repartition and format solved it....
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Computer troubles

Originally posted by Technoid
          Had the same problem with a hdd that was formated in the summer....

In the winter it woulden't boot belowe a certin temp, a repartition and format solved it....
          That sounds awfully screwy. Unless you are talking about old seagate monsters from 15-20 years ago. For those old clunkers, they used stepper motors, and expansion/contraction of the drive due to temperature changes would require a low level format to correct.

However, virtually all harddrives from the last 10 years have used voice coil head motors. These automaticly align themselves to the tracks on the hard drive, and don't suffer from the problems drives with stepper motors did.

Furthermore, the low level format applied to modern hard drives cannot be reproduced outside of the hard drive factory. The servo information (that allows the head to correctly position itself over the data track) cannot be changed by the drive, so reformatting the drive really has no effect on how the drive reacts to tempurature.

Well, thats the theory anyway

For the original problem, WTF are you using ANOTHER abit motherboard for? I thought you would have learnt by now.
          80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Hi!

Since I returned my abit motherboard and said that it wasn't working they replaced it with a similar board.

About the psu... I used to have a 300W Aopen and I bought a new 353W Enermax. So that is why I don't blame the psu.

Perhaps the repartitioning is as good idea as any other.

/Leo
            AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
            Asus A8N-E
            Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
            Lian-Li PC60
            Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

woel,

Go out, buy a Sis 735 board (ECS make them) and use that instead.

And do the repartition

Comment

The 353 watt Enermax isn't any better than the PSU you were using before. Get something proper, like a 400watt Antec or Sparkle...
                Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Hi!

Well maybe I buy a new motherboard. Seen the Asus A7S333 for a cheap price where I usually buy my computer stuff.

I can't really accept that my psu isn't good enough. I spent about 100 euro on it. Some of my friends use cheap 300W psus and their computers are stable. And I don't have a lot of parts in my computer.

/Leo
                  AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
                  Asus A8N-E
                  Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
                  Lian-Li PC60
                  Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

you replaced the original Abit motherboard with another Abit one.. that's where the problem lies

Seriously, cold boot problems often are the result of blown caps on the motherboard, and if there's one thing that Abit is famous for, then it would be....

Comment

A7S333 is a SiS745 based mobo. Go for it. In any case check the current rating on each of the lines of the PSU. Some manufacturers lie about the overall wattage, but they usually tell the truth about the current rating on the 5V, 12V, and so on. For example my Macron that came with the random case I'm using gives 30A on the 5V line, 10A on the 12V line, 0.5A on the -5V line 0.8A on the -12V line 1.4A on the 3.3V line and 2A on the 5Vsb. Granted I'm using a Duron at 900MHz. Oh and I'm still using my Abit KT7 for now. Haven't blown any caps yet (I think). Will upgrade this winter to something non-VIA. Most likely to a SiS solution, 120GB Maxtor HD, Parhelia of some kind and the cheapest Audigy I can find. Girlfriend will be the recipient of my current system, except for the monitor. She's getting an elcheapo monitor.
                      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Well since I rma:d (is that the "word"?) my abit motherboard they reseller changed it for a new one. Don't think I had a choice...

I tried both my psu:s and I have the same problem with both. Didn't have that problem with my old psu with my old athlon 600MHz but perhaps my athlon xp 1700 takes a little more power. Anyway I don't have my computer stuffed with parts.

Here is my system:
                        Abit kr7a-133
                        Amd athlon xp 1700
                        crucial 256MB
                        IBM Deskstar 120GXP 80GB
                        Creative Sound Blaster Live player 1024
                        3com 905c
                        Ati Radeon 8500
                        Pioneer DVD
                        Plextor CD-RW
                        Enermax 353W PSU

About the caps...
                        I can't see that anyone of them have blown. Not on my old motherboard either...

AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
                        Asus A8N-E
                        Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
                        Lian-Li PC60
                        Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

now I know that it isn't the memory that is bad. Got a second crucial 256MB today.
                          Have to try the repartitioning. Too bad I need to backup 75GB of data.

Anyone still thinks it's my new motherboard?
                          AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
                          Asus A8N-E
                          Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
                          Lian-Li PC60
                          Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by woel
                            now I know that it isn't the memory that is bad. Got a second crucial 256MB today.
                            Have to try the repartitioning. Too bad I need to backup 75GB of data.

Anyone still thinks it's my new motherboard?
                            (I was kidding about the repartition before, I don't think it will help, but by all means, try it)

Yes, we still do think it is your motherboard :P

It has Abit written on it, and hence will make any chance of you getting any real though put into the problem null and void.

If a computer has a problem and an abit motherboard, we can only blame the motherboard (because of its brand) until you try a known working board (non abit, working perfectly elsewhere)

Comment

Working...
                            X