Opinions...EIDE ATA RAIDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions...EIDE ATA RAIDS

I just have a consumer level 7200rpm EIDE raid on a PIII 635Mhz. I do video editing. I was thinking that if I am to output at 29,97fps 640x480 and beyond, I'm gonna need a SCSI 10,000rpm. Yesterday, I only just learn about EIDE ATA RAIDS.
    Are they worth it? Can they do the same job for Professional video editing that SCSI RAIDS do? My guess is yes. But I don't want to guess. I want to know. Your thought?
    Pete Janak

Yes they work great. I would suggest Promise raid array cards any day of the week.

We've had many discussions in this forum and in Desktop Video discussing such at great length. Pay especial attention to the posts that Dr. Mordrid has put up on the subject.

ALso in the mean time do a search on this in both forums and you will be unindated with more than you could have ever wanted to know.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Greebe. I'll do just that

Comment

depends on what qulity you intend to use it with... it works perfectly with DV.... but i am not sure if it will do for betaSP and digiBeta
        "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

On the other hand the consensus is that its not really needed for DV. since at most DV needs 7.xMbps. But is very much needed for large formats such as BetaSP, Digibeta etc. since they need lots for Mbps input/output. Based on what I've read a RAID will work just as fine for uncompressed video as a SCSI.
          Pete Janak

Comment

Just don't use Highpoint!!

Comment

What's Highpoint? First card I'm going to consider is a Promise card if I don't learn of a better one.
              Pete Janak

Comment

Promise should be the first and last name you consider for IDE RAID.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

3Ware makes some nice RAID cards.

Comment

Hi, Peter!

Highpoint, like Promise, makes RAID adapters and chips. But the Highpoint chips are cheap and aren't very sturdy.

Also, if you plan to put together your own computer, try to stay clear of VIA chipset-based motherboards. There are better alternatives around, such as SIS and/or Intel.

Comment

Working...
                    X