PowerQuest DriveImage 3 any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerQuest DriveImage 3 any good?

I would like to be able to take a snapshot of a clean Windows installation so that the next time I want to reinstall everything it will be a "snap". Is DriveImage the right program to buy? Does it really work? Is it easy to use?
    Anthony
    • Slot 1 Celeron 400, Asus P2B, 256MB PC-100
    • AGP Marvel-TV 8MB NTSC
    • Turtle Beach Montego PCI sound card
    • C: IBM 10.1, 5400, Primary on 1, System, Swap, Software
    • D: IBM 13.5, 5400, Primary on 2, Dedicated to video
    • E: Memorex 48x CD, Secondary on 1
    • F: Yamaha CD-RW 2x2x8, Secondary on 2
    • Win98, FAT32 on C: & D:
    • MediaStudio Pro 5.2

As far as I'm concerned the best package of this type is Symantec's Ghost 2000. 'tis excellent.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I would agree with Docs statement. I have both. I have restored a image from one drive with Ghost the other week when I upgraded my C: drive to a new one . Worked great.

I was a bit concerned with Driveimage 3 when I read the manual that came with it mentioning things like limatations of drive sizes and FAT16 etc. Ghost does not have any limitations that I know of.

I now "image" my C: drive once a week as a backup method to my old drive which is now purely a backup drive.

paulw

Comment

Agreed.

One Ghost-ly tip:

Back up to a folder or partition of a separate drive instead of tape. It's much faster. I currently use a folder on my RAID array but this may change to a removable drive soon. My wife uses that technique now and it seems to work quite nicely for her.

As far as file size goes my 3.5 gig boot partition fits nicely into a <2 gig file at high compression so a relatively small drive or partition would suffice.

I also back up regularly, but my schedule is (usually) a daily one. It only takes about 30 min or so to do the backup before I shut down for the night, that is IF I shut down for the night

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 15 July 2000).]

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to buy Ghost!

-Anthony
          Anthony
          • Slot 1 Celeron 400, Asus P2B, 256MB PC-100
          • AGP Marvel-TV 8MB NTSC
          • Turtle Beach Montego PCI sound card
          • C: IBM 10.1, 5400, Primary on 1, System, Swap, Software
          • D: IBM 13.5, 5400, Primary on 2, Dedicated to video
          • E: Memorex 48x CD, Secondary on 1
          • F: Yamaha CD-RW 2x2x8, Secondary on 2
          • Win98, FAT32 on C: & D:
          • MediaStudio Pro 5.2

Comment