Opinions on dual Xeon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on dual Xeon...

Well, I have made some inquires concering a dual AMD system, and now (at the advice of a collegue) I also checked the dual Xeon route.

The main purpose of the machine will be photo-editing (and later on also video-editing). I have become somewhat concerned about the dual AMD solution, mainly due to compatibility issues (AGP vs. PCI64/66, Parhelia, ...), although there seems to be coming an end to them... I didn't consider dual Xeon beforehand, as I thought it would be much more expensive (it turns out it still is within my league ).

So, any comments/experience on performance, compatibilty, ... (regarding the i860 chipset) ?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

No real useful comments, but we got a few dual Xeon's here at work a few years ago (Dual PIII Xeon 550's, 1Gb RAM IBM servers - still in use) and when we first got them I was doing some video format conversions on my desktop PC which was taking ages (hours), but when I ran it on the Xeons and it took a few minutes I was impressed.

Comment

Wasn't the Parhelia/SMP thread also talking about issues with the i860? <runs off to reread thread>
      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Which thread is that ?
        (the "best Athlon dual..." does not make mention of the Xeon)

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

This one: http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35942
          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

The parhelia ran perfectly on my Supermicro. My personal experience for the last 8 months is that my Supermicro i860 is on-par with the best BX-boards that were out there. You won't regret the investment.

I like doing the pricing comparisons, so here they are:

Athlon MP 2200+ x 2 = $442
            256mb PC2100 ECC x4 = $260
            Tyan Thunder K7X w/o SCSI = $345
            =$1047

Xeon DP 2.2ghz x2 = $504
            RDRAM PC800 ECC x 4 = $336
            Supermicro P4DCE+ = $365
            =$1205

Comment

Let me make a small edit to that:

MSI K7D Master-L $200
              2xMP 2000+ $310

Giving you a total price of $770, or major savings...
              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

K6-III- Might wanna add some memory there...equal speed procs would be nice too.

isochar- Which vendor would you reccommend getting the P4DCE+ from? I was looking at the P4DC6+ and figure if they have one, they'll have the other.

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
                ASUS A7N8X
                Corsair 1GB PC3200
                Parhelia 128MB
                EIZO L685EX

Comment

K6-3, don't forget that the Supermicro board is enterprise-class, as is the Thunder. The MSI isn't quite there.

Only difference between the two is that the DC6+ comes with the SCSI controller. I've always been a proponent of being able to upgrade every part of the system when I want to, so the DCE+ fit my bill.

As for the vendor, I'd go with the one I quoted - Micropro. $352 + $12 UPS Ground. Here's their site:

MicroPro provides quality IT Support in Surrey, London and Kent. A trusted team for outsourced IT Support suitable for the growing business.

Their site price differs from the pricewatch.com price, so make sure you tell them the price you saw on pricewatch:

MicroPro provides quality IT Support in Surrey, London and Kent. A trusted team for outsourced IT Support suitable for the growing business.

I've ordered from them twice before, and haven't had any problems. Both times they shipped the order within 48 hours of the purchase.

Comment

One more thing, if you guys can hold off about a month and a half, we'll see the Placer motherboards out - AGP8x, 4.2gb/s of Dual-DDR goodness, and PCI-X. In addition, it'll support the 603 & new 533fsb 604 pin Xeons.
                    Last edited by isochar; 19 September 2002, 14:30.

Comment

Supermicro

isochar,

i second that on the supermicro...i do not do any 3d gaming, just web surfing, email and finacial analysis(...charts and graphs).

my system...

Supermicro SC760P4 case w/400W Power supply
                      Supermicro P4DC6+ Dual Xeon motherboard
                      - Intel 860 chipset
                      - Dual Channel SCSI - Adaptec AIC-7899 "Crossbow Ultra160 SCSI ASIC"
                      - Intel 82559 Network Controller
                      - AC97' audio
                      - USB 1.1 Ports(2), and 2 Header connections
                      - The rest of the reguler I/O is provided

Intel P4 Xeon 1.7 Ghz w/256K/ATC Processor x (2)
                      Memory - 512Mb ECC Rambus @ 800Mhz x (2) (Total of 1024 MB)

Video - Matrox Parhelia - 512

Displays - Dual Head Configuration

Pri. - Samsung 210T (21.3" TFT) - DVI
                      Sec. - Samsung 210T (21.3" TFT) - DVI

Sound - Creative Audigy Platinum
                      - Live Drive II

HDDs.
                      - 1 Cheetah X15 36LP @ 36.4 GB(ST336752LW) BOOT
                      - 2 Seagate Cheetahs 73 LP @ 73.4 Gb ea.(ST373504LW)

CD/CD-RW/DVD

- Plextor PX-40TW (SCSI ID 0)
                      - Pioneer DVD 305s (SCSI ID 1)
                      - Plextor CD-RW PW-W1210s (SCSI ID 2)

1394/USB 2.0 - Adaptec Duo-connect AUA 3121 - 3 usb/1 1394 ext. ports - 1 each int.

- external ZIP 100 drive
                      - Epson Stylus Scan 2500
                      - USB to Parralle cable
                      - Granite Digital FireVue 1394 Bridge hosting a WD1800BB HDD.

this board has been very stable!!!

cc
                      Last edited by Chucky Cheese; 19 September 2002, 16:32.

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
                        One more thing, if you guys can hold off about a month and a half, we'll see the Placer motherboards out - AGP8x, 4.2gb/s of Dual-DDR goodness, and PCI-X. In addition, it'll support the 603 & new 533fsb 604 pin Xeons.
                        Do you have any sites commenting on these boards ?
                        (and even if they do turn out to be too expensive for me, it might result in a price-drop for the current crop of Dual Xeon boards)

What are good manufacturers in your opinion ? I already had Tyan and Supermicro on my list...

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

You will find Xeons have much better performance than Athlon MPs mainly due to the cache and Hyperthreading. And also SMP applications tend to optimise better towards Intel...
                          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Yes, about that hyperthreading... I read that it does not always perform that good in Windows, due to the fact that Windows consider the system to be a 4 processor, not incorporating the fact that 2 of them are dependant on the other. (Apparently, some Linux-kernels do know the dependencies between the hyperthreaded ones and the *real* ones).
                            I would have to use Windows, so I'm not sure if enabling hyperthreading would be that beneficial. Or am I missing something (new Hardware Abstraction Layers ?) ?

Jörg
                            pixar

Comment

This might be important:
                              Intel to drop Rambus support in new CPU products.

Hmm, guess I'll better wait for those Placers to arrive...

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X