Zagat Guide: top 10 movies....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zagat Guide: top 10 movies....

Now Zagat is making movie guides in addition to their restaurant guides.

The Zagat to 10 list in order;

The Godfather
    Casablanca
    Star Wars
    Gone With the Wind
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Braveheart
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
    Citizen Kane
    Godfather, Part II
    Raiders of the Lost Ark

I might quibble with some selections; mainly LOTR, Braveheart & Shawshank Redemption, but they are still very good films and within the realm of excellent taste.

I'd likely have substituted some of the following;

Chinatown
    Psycho
    Touch of Evil (mainly the 1998 re-edit that followed Wells original memos)
    Taxi Driver
    Lawrence of Arabia
    The Quiet Man
    Double Indemnity
    E.T. the Extraterrestrial
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    etc. etc. etc.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 September 2002, 20:22.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I'm missing some classics that should be there as well:

Some like it hot (Billy Wilder)
    Vertigo (Hitchcock)

I personally wouldn't quibble (is that a word ?) on "The Shawshank Redemption"...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

how about Metropolis (Fritz Lang)
      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

how about the powerpuff girls movie
        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

2001 is the most boring and uter nightmarish movie....
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'd have missed Braveheart off the list for a start, probably LOTR too. Okay. LOTR was a great movie, but it was hardly groundbreaking and the fact its an adaption of a very popular book counts against it as far as 'Best movies ever' goes.

Personally I'd have added at least one comedy flick in there -almost definately the Life of Brian. How many other movies can you watch over and over again and still be in hysterics on the floor after the 30th showing?
            Also in my top list would have to be Ronin and The Usual Suspects, and probably 'This is Spinal Tap' too.

"You know, when you just need that little bit more, well, this amp goes to 11."
            "But why not make the amp itself louder and use 10?"
            "But this one goes to 11."
            Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

How about my personal fav...
              A Man For All Seasons (1966)

chuck
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

The Godfather is number 1 on IMDB too. I don't get it. Great movie and all, but I don't see it as #1 of all time. Ah well, I have totally messed up taste in movies anyways.

Bart
                Bart

Comment

What about "Big Trouble in Little China Town"?

You can never forget the line "China is looking for you Mr. Burton." Oh good ol' Jack Burton, who could forget?
                  System Specs:
                  Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
                  May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
                  Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
                  And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
                  just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
                  For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

The Experiment is really one of the best movies, but since it's based on a real story I don't know if it would apply...

AZ
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Shirley Acropolis Now should appear?
                      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

ET???? Doc?

I can't believe Hudson Hawk isn't on that list.....

..oh wait, I'm the only one that likes it.

amish
                        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

How about animated movies?

Jammrock's top 10 animated movies, not country/style specific:
                          [list=1][*]Akira - Animation that's almost 15 years old and still top notch, killer soundtrack, fun story and fun to watch.[*]Laputa: Castle in the Sky - Hayao Miyazaki's best movie. If Disney doesn't release in on DVD in the US soon I'm going after them with my crowbar.[*] Shrek - One of the best CG movies and DAMN funny!![*] Iron Giant - Highly underrated movie, but by far one of the best.[*]Mononoke Hime (Princess ...) - Spectacular all around![*]Monster Inc - Pixar's best movie, story, comedy, animation and voice acting wise.[*]Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind - Can you tell Hayao Miyazaki is my favorite animator?[*]Lilo & Stitch - The only Disney movie worthy making the list, because it's different, funny and very well done.[*]Jin-Roh - The last purely hand drawn animated feature from Japan, and absolutely cool. The Japanese DTS soundtrack will knock paintings off the wall.[*]Titan A.E. - Another highly underrated animated movie. DOn Bluth's best movie by far.[/list=1]

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                          X