Program to set how much cpu % a program gets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Program to set how much cpu % a program gets

I'm looking for a program to "set" how much Cpu % a program gets....

So I can limit for example Seti to 25% or so.....
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

in Win2K there is
    System Properties\Advanced\Performance Options
    set the optimize performance setting for applications

that might help you somewhat
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

can't do such a thing afaik. You can only set program priority. (idle, below normal, normal, above normal, high, realtime)

Comment

in windows you cant
        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

dZeus is spot on, and I presume thop is talking about Technoids' original question

most, if not all distributed computing applications are run as 'low' priority so that they don't steal performance from foreground applications, but there's not much you can do beyond that...
          Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Hm....
            I do remember seeing such a program for NT once in the mists of time....
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I doubt its a good idea or even possible under Windows.

Effectively 75% of CPU time is wasted. Low/Idle priority is a much better option.
              P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
              Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Not too much difficult to code a little program to do something like that....
                Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Working...
                X