Parhelia Performance increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia Performance increase

Just left 3dchipset and they mentioned Dark Crow has tested new Parhelia drivers and they give a major boost in performance.
    Check it out- Dark Crow

Pete

That's excellent news...

As I made note some time time ago, Matrox had a hell of a lot of upswing with Parhelia, especially given the fact that they've been out of the loop for so long...

I mean, when you didn't have anything in the DX7 + DX8 (I consider Parhelia to fall somewhere between DX8->DX9, but clearly is late for DX8) era, you have a heck of a lot of room for improvement.

The good thing right now is the fact that, by and large, the drivers are very solid and bug-free...I'm not talking about specific feature-bugs, like FAA, etc.

Anyhow, Matrox has another couple of months to really tighten up their drivers and squeeze more and more performance out of the thing.

Comment

With the latest 1.1.0.80 drivers I get a Big boost in Q3-based games.
      My SoF2 went from 5-20 fps to 45-80.
      <font size="-4">User error:
      Replace user and try again.
      System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
      System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
      </font>

Comment

Whaere are these drivers?

Are these available for download, or does Dark Crow have access to Matrox test builds?
        Life is a ride
        Like days on a train
        Cities rush by
        Like ghosts in the night

Comment

Look at the MURC news page.
          These drivers where released last Friday.
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Oh, I got those the same day!

The wording of the first post, ("tested new Parhelia drivers", not "tested THE new Parhaelia drivers") and reference to the version 1.1.0.80, when the files themselves are only listed as 1.01.00, led me to beleive we were talking about the next release.
            Some major increase evident in Dark Crows testing.
            Life is a ride
            Like days on a train
            Cities rush by
            Like ghosts in the night

Comment

have some other end-user saw some increase in every day apps besides that guy ?
              Athlon64 4800+
              Asus A8N deluxe
              2 gig munchkin ddr 500
              eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
              X-Fi Fatality
              HP w2207

Comment

The full number of the drivers released Friday is 1.01.00.080 (though the installer always drops the leading zeros for some reason)
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by jackzod
                  have some other end-user saw some increase in every day apps besides that guy ?
                  Quake3 and UT2k3 demo have massive increases....somehow I think much more pixel shader performance is as of yet untapped...
                  Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Can somebody show me benchmarks between the older driver release and the new and improved driver release? I would love to see what the numbers are. How about Quake3, UT2003 and Commanche4

Thanks,

Dave
                    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I second that

I'm trying hard to convince myself that i should get a P instead of a 9700. A little increase in perf would help for sure
                      Athlon64 4800+
                      Asus A8N deluxe
                      2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                      eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                      X-Fi Fatality
                      HP w2207

Comment

If only I'd bothered to benchmark the old drivers....I'll see what I can find...
                        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Excellent to see the performance step up that much from a driver update I wish 'reviewers' who looked at P in a negative light, would reinvestigate with the new drivers and post their second thoughts.
                          Shuttle SN45G, 2 x 256 Megs of Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 DDR Ram, 120 Gig Western Digital SE HD, 16x48x Liteon DVD-CDR Combo Drive, 128 Meg Retail Parhelia, nForce Soundstorm, Klipsch Promedia GMX

Comment

Already posted this in benchmark forum, but here are my UT2003-demo results with new drivers:

Code:
                            Resolution 1024-768 
                            16x FAA on 
                            Trilinear on
                                      Old                   New
                            Flyby:    59,016628             69.138535
                            Botmatch: 25.009186             29.519949

Resolution 1024-768 
                            16x FAA off 
                            Trilinear on 
                                      Old                   New
                            Flyby:    69.636223             79.487053
                            Botmatch: 26.902164             29.578671
                            Last edited by Michel; 18 September 2002, 02:28.
                            PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                              Can somebody show me benchmarks between the older driver release and the new and improved driver release? I would love to see what the numbers are. How about Quake3, UT2003 and Commanche4

Thanks,

Dave
                              Commanche 4 with old drivers (231) : 29fps
                              with new : 37fps

Comment

Working...
                              X