Seagate, Western Digital to cut hard drive warranties too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagate, Western Digital to cut hard drive warranties too

Seagate, Western Digital to cut hard drive warranties too.

Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

No business ever succeeded by following others down the path of mediocrity.

Comment

The 3year warranty and excellent reliability made me a Seagate zealot. Looks like Samsung still hasn't cut their warranties...
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I just started testing the Samsung drives. Haven't had a problem yet, but it takes 3 years to properly test the reliability of a new brand.
        I should have bought an ATI.

Comment

They must know that they are going to fail in big style shortly.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

"Customers can purchase an extended warranty on WD products with less than a 3-year warranty. The maximum warranty period cannot extend more than 3 years. If you are interested in purchasing extended warranty, please send an e-mail to service@wdc.com. Your e-mail should only contain your contact information (please no credit card information). We will contact you by return e-mail within one business day."

Piax how is that samsung drive, it seems that they are reliable and quiet but they are hard to get here in Belgium.
            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Hi,

It's been years of computing and so far I still haven't replaced any of my harddrives yet (am I lucky or what since I'm using all IBM drives).

So a silly question... if the HDD dies, do they replace it with a new one or do they get your databack? Providing the data could be gotten back.
              P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
              Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

WyWyWyWy:

you just get a new clean drive back.
                <font size=1>Primary System: ASUS P4B533-E, Intel Pentium4 1.6A GHz, 512MB Samsung PC2700, Leadtek GF4 Ti4200 64MB, SB Audigy, 2xSeagate Barracuda IV 80GB, Pioneer DVD 106S, NEC CD-R 40/10/40, InWin Q500 Case w/ Enermax 353W PSU, Windows XP Pro, Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX.

Secondary System: ECS K7S5A, Athlon XP 1600+, 256MB PC133, Asus GF2 GTS 32MB, Seagate Barracuda IV 20GB, Aopen HQ08 Case, Windows XP Pro.</font>

Comment

You don't get a new drive, you get a refurbished one.

DJ

Comment

Depends if they don't make the model you may get a newer one.
                    Of course when it fails you've got to make sure your backup is working.
                    Cheeky asking them to pay for an extended warrenty.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Like a friend of mine who sent in a 8GB Seagate IDE HDD, and received a Seagate Cheetah 70 GB 10k RPM Ultra-160 LVCD SCSI drive (refurbished) in return last week.

Comment

... sounds like a nice screw-up. I suppose he could trade somebody for an IDE drive or sell it if he couldn't use it.

Are these manufacturers cutting their SCSI drive warranties as well?
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Cutting enterprise-class warranties is suicide. (Even more than consumer-level)

Comment

dZeus you gotta be kidding a 70 GB 10k RPM Ultra-160 LVCD SCSI drive to replace an ide one.

Comment

I'm not kidding. It even had the right description on the in-voice. Online RMA status at Seagate.com stated 'Drive defect replacement shipped'

Comment

Working...
                              X