Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried Windows Media Player 9 Series Beta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried Windows Media Player 9 Series Beta?

Available from XP update:

"Download size: 8.3 MB, 2 minutes
    You are about to download beta software, distributed for feedback and testing purposes. Microsoft does not provide technical support for beta products. If you install the beta version of Windows Media Player 9 Series, it will replace your current version of the player. This software is for advanced users who are comfortable testing pre-release software. If you are unsure of whether this accurately describes you, Microsoft recommends that you do not download this software. You can only download separately from other components. After installation, you can return to Windows Update to download additional components. Enjoy fast and flexible music and video playback with Windows Media Player 9 Series, the first Smart Jukebox! New features including Fast Streaming for instant-on playback, Mini-player mode, unmatched audio and video quality, and more make this the best player yet. Best experienced with Windows XP! "

Has anyone tried this? Any ads/disads over v8?

Cheers

T.
    FT.

I've heard that you can't uninstall it under XP so giving it a miss till it goes final!

Comment

I'm currently using it....pretty nice, no annoying bugs so far. Even though it is a beta, it's official, not leaked, so there shouldn't be that many problems with it. I like it more than v8.
      All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

I've been using it for a week or so, in XP. The only problem is that with certain movies it doesn't let me seek.

Comment

Yep, the slider bug is the only one I've seen.

Comment

ok, so need a restore point to remove, and a slider bug

Any good points?

Thanks

T.
            FT.

Comment

I bet it has all the latest in Digital Rights Removal.

I'll stick with sasami, I'm sure.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have a newer beta than the "official" one, and it has... a few issues.

A few good points, too. Much smaller footprint, better skin support (for more streamlined usability), better controls, better video quality, minimizes (with controls) to the taskbar, etc. etc.

But it does have a slider bug on some movies which can be QUITE annoying, and it has a few other miscellaneous issues.

Overall better than WMP8, but not better than WMP 6.4 or Sasami2k.

- Gurm

P.S. Where oh where has the guy making Sasami2k gotten off to? He's been AWOL for almost a year!
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Anyone noticing problems with it playing WMV format video files now? I originally installed the beta that was available prior to the XP SP1 release, but then SP1 made XP show WMP9 beta as available on the Windows Updates page, so I let it reinstall it. I'm not sure, but the WMV thing may have started for me at that point. (I didn't have problems with any of the files that I played prior to that, so I didn't pay too much attention to what format they were in at that time..)
                  "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                  Gainward Ti4600
                  AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

running WMP9 beta on my computer...

the one thing i cannot stand about it is full screen mode. I liked WMP8's ultra-low-screen usage full screen mode. i don't really like the fact that with playback controls there, even if it disappears, it distorts the video while they are on screen.

edit: eep, somethings up at murc... this should be two posts down!
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Been using for a little while now on win2k and not one problem yet.

Comment

The only advantages that wmp8 and 9 have over 6.4 are that you can move the slider in full screen and smoother playlists. The only ones that matter to me. Sasami2k is decent though
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Hey it has hue adjustment for the skins
                          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

So far, WMP9 seems o.k.....
                            the seek function will only work on some multimedia
                            AFTER it's been played start > finish one time.

Comment

I just installed SP1 and WMP 9 isn't available on windowsupdate. It was there yesterday. Going to install these drivers and see if it then becomes available
                              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                              X