X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Canopus DVStorm 2

Will clear all Matrox RTX100 good news?

harry

actually no, the Storm 2 is a repackaged Storm with new software, the gap is closing up between the Storm 2 and RT.X100 but still not there yet.
    The Storm 2 still has some limitations which Canopus could not remedy, like the inability of adding 3D effects to graphics, or as filters to both graphics and video.

Keyframability is still limited and colour correction is not up to par with Matrox RT.X100.

So there are a few items still need to be worked on I guess, but we still have'nt seen anything yet in term software upgrades for the RT.X100, I bet ya Matrox is working hard to come up with the next release for the X.

Cheers,
    Elie

Comment

looks like it does comes now with MpegHardware encoder
      as standard.

Comment

Yep, that's nice

Comment

Who konws what is the truth

Elie,

Please do not mention things being not true!

The 3D effects can be applied on the graphics of Storm. If you want to be accurate say just the 3D effect are not applicable as filter just as transition. But as transition you can apply them either on whether on graphics or on video.

Also the colorcorrection of Storm is more sofisticated if you combine it with the "Chrominance" filter. You can't do same things with RTX100. Check it out on the http://alibiman.ehc.hu

The Storm2 is a pure software update + free StormEncoder. There were bunch of lacks of features - comparing to RTX100.

3D PiP - solved, keyframeable
          Softborder - solved
          3D as filter - not solved (except the PiP)
          White ballance - let's say solved, though it is not obvious
          H/W MPEG encoder included - solved
          More really RT 3D effects added
          One pass scene capturing - solved, spec. version of Scenelyzer, btw.
          Stop motion - not solved
          Timelapse capture - not solved
          New feature the 3 streams recording - but I do not understand really the purpose of that
          New filters added - let's check them later
          New titlemotion added - what does it mean this at all?
          New Canopus Editor software - not released
          MpegCutter - what can be very useful
          DVD ayuthoring - At last! Not that terribile DVDit
          etc.

cheers

Comment

That's exactly what I said Alibiman!

I said it is a repackaged Storm with a bunch of fixes, maybe my Canadian English is hard to understand at times, I do apologize

And according to Ryan at Canopus, he specifically said that keyframability has not changed.
            Here is his quote...
            Here's your answers...

-The filters still use the same method of keyframing we have used in the past

-The Pan and Zoom filter for S2 is intended for video. Imaginate is our high resolution photo solution that has been receiving great praise for it's ease of use.
            So as you can see this is straight from the horses mouth.

Cheers,
            Elie

Comment

I have reflected for your two false comments:

"like the inability of adding 3D effects to graphics"

and

"colour correction is not up to par with Matrox RT.X100. "

With the other things I do agree with you.

Btw. how in the hell is possibile that with the 2460S you can use the 2100XP. I would like to have the same. My problem is, that the XP AMDs (what I can buy here) are not working in DUAL mode, secondly the Tyan warmed all the users not to use faster CPU than the 1800+, because the mobo will burn down.

So, I need your solution, if you can help me.

Comment

I have reflected for your two false comments:

"like the inability of adding 3D effects to graphics"

True if you try to apply a 3D effect as a filter to a graphic or video.

As to the AMD 2100+ XP there is a site that I checked out that had a whole 3 pages on how to hack the AMD Xp chips to be detected as MP's.

I will post the web site shortly.

The one thing I know is you should have bios rev. 1.04 before you add faster chips to the Tyan S2460.

Regards,
                Elie

Comment

ooooh great. Two smart people with differing oppinions in the same thread.
                  Ok - wich one has better Colour correction abilities? Who can blue screen the best?
                  I don't care about marketing mumbo jumbo, let get to the meat of it.
                  kenobi.
                  Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

I only truly know about the RT.X100's capabilities and I know I was able to colour correct in both YUV and RGB at the same time.

If you look at the colour correction Adobe chose in PhtoShop 7, Matrox did the same exact interface.

Storm 2 ha not been released yet, so we cannot comment on how the new CC filter is going to be like. Let's wait until October when its released for a comparison.

Regards,
                    Elie

Comment

Don't underestimate the power of RTX fellas.

Their design allows them to do things the Storm cannot do. However, Matrox does have to live up to it's promise of scalable technology.

If you're thinking of breaking out the champagne on the Storm, I'd recommend you to save the Dom Perignon for your daughter's wedding.

Let consider some facts here.

1.) Canopus was bursting at the seams due to our cries. We were all screaming bloody murder because the RTX really was several steps ahead. (they have a very tight, very well integrated package.)

2.) Canopus announces the Storm2. People cheer, however, delivery date is uncertain (Dan May says likely end of Oct) and reliability and old bug fixes are yet to be determined. We know there's a lot of coffee drinking going on at Canopus Japan right now!

It's good! It's good for us. Competition is good. In a month and a half Matrox could announce something big as well! You can bet they are fine tuning 'X'!

I can see Canopus taking another 6 months or even a year to work on this stuff if it wasn't for a little 'incentive'.

If you think Canopus has a leg up on Matrox, I'd suggest you look carefully at the two products. Also in a couple of months when the Storm2 update is finally available who knows what Matrox will have?

There's no argument that Canopus has done a fabulous job with annoucing the software upgrade. From what I can gather, Storm will get 3D PIP with customizable soft borders. It does not appear to have RT scroll for credits, so the "Raster Scroll" may be something other than I expected. (Canopus US has some details, but they are uncertain about some of the features, so my guess is that it's not a fully nailed down yet).

Nonetheless, $149 is a great deal for us veteran Storm-ers. You can bet it would have been more like $299 if it wasn't for Matrox!

It's good. It's all good!!!!

George Lin

Comment

he.heh.he Its my fault.... I started the tread...

Comment

Welcome to MURC George

Comment

Elie,

"Storm 2 ha not been released yet, so we cannot comment on how the new CC filter is going to be like."

This is not for the Storm2, this is the old one. Just to clarify, and again:

DVStorm and! DVRaptor RT has more sofisticated CC in case if you combine it with the "Chrominance" filter. This is what I showed on the http://alibiman.ehc.hu page.

Do you understand?

And I still be curious about the 2460S/XP2100+ combination. I badly need a such solution. Is not nice from you not responding to my question.

Ali (be man)

Comment

Ali,

I think it would be fair to say that the RTX colour correction is more advanced (RTX has Chromiance as well), but the Storm's regioning ability can make colour correction more versatile.

George

Comment

Working...
                              X