saving quicktime files from the browser cache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saving quicktime files from the browser cache

anyone know how to steal a quicktime movie (a save protected one) from the browser cache?

I have located the file in the documents and settings\user name\local settings\temp\blah.tmp, but I can't create a copy because the browser plugin is accessing it, and as soon as I navigate off the page it purges the file from the cache. Does anyone know a sneaky way of copying the file before the plugin deletes it?

(FYI, I'm trying to save the new James Bond trailer )
    Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Start > Settings > Control Panel > QuickTime > Browser Plug-in > Save movies in disk cache.
    <a href="http://www.unspacy.com/ryu/systems.htm">Ryu's PCs</a>

Comment

I've got that set. I think it's because when the movie is published by the owner, it is published with settings which prevent it from being cached to stop sneaky people like myself from doing exactly this.

I'm basically looking for a trick to copy a file which is locked by system access...
      Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

One way I've done this sort of thing is to veiw the source of the pages and find out where the movie physically is on the webserver.
        Then its just 'Save Target As'.

Long winded, but it works.
        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

There are more or less lengthy ways of going about copying used files;

1. Have you tried copying the file from a DOS-prompt (or DOS-emulator in WinNT/XP)?

2. Share the folder with CIFS and try to copy the file from another computer.

3. If you have access to a UNIX/Linux-machine, share the folder and dd the file to a new file.

Nobody said it was going to be easy

Comment

Try this out...

Maybe your browser cache is 2 small, that's why once you move off the page, the program wipes the cache to get back to your "set" size. Increase your cache size to like 100MB or something, and then move off the site and see if the file remains in the browser cache.

Just a thought...
            Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
            MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
            Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
            Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

If you have Mozilla and go to View -> Page Info -> Media (tab) it'll have a list of media objects with a Save As button. I believe I did this for a protected file once, but not sure if it was Quicktime or something else.
              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

You are correct... if the publisher has specified rights-management you are on your own. I find the best way is to start the movie, pause it, let it finish downloading, and hunt around in my browser cache for the new (huge) file. If you can't copy it because it's in use... best to *ahem* forcibly terminate the browser (many ways to do this).

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

nothing's working! I give up, lol

Comment

One of the tricks people used with the Lord of the Rings trailer was to wait for the entire thing to download, then pull the power on your computer. And I mean, literally, pull the plug. Dropping the power to the system caused the file to remain in cache, and unprotected, when the system booted back up.

I just don't recommend doing it while your hard drive is ticking, or with any OS besides Win2k or WinXP.

Jammrock
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Try using sasami2k. It can't always play QT movies, but it should allow you to save it or find it in the cache. That's how I started saving WMV files.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X