Duplex for NIC's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplex for NIC's?

I got a question from a friend about the Duplex settings for his NIC...

And I coulden't give him a good explanation, because I'm not 100% sure myself

So who feels up to the task?

Of explaining the mysteries of NIC's and their Duplex modes
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Using a crossover cable or a switch between two nics you have full duplex operation... tho this is normally selectable, it can be set to half duplex. Going through a hub you have half duplex operation.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Could you please elaborate ?
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

pardon... what didn't you understand?
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Full duplex will allow the card to send and recieve packets at the same time.
          Half duplex can send or recieve, but not both at the same time.
          Full duplex is usually problematic, which is why it's set to half duplex by default.
          I generally leave it set to half duplex at all times on my systems.
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

What exactly is "half and full duplex"

I have the impression that its either oneway at the time comunication af full sped or dualway comunication at the same time splitting the bandwith...

Comment

Look up the word duplex

Comment

Thanks Kruzin!

And Greebe

I think I have the whole picture now!

Comment

BTW, as far as Ethernet is concerned, Full Duplex also uses another pair of wires in the cable. More than once I've come across duplex mismatch issues on the switch that are down to a damaged cable. (Why DO people bother with floortraps anyway? They're just asking to get all the cables trapped and broken.)
                  Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

RichL, I feel your pain.

Every time I see a site go to a remodel, I tell the newbies on my team to watch them closely. Sooner or later, one of the "construction" crew will cut a critical CAT5 or a Fiber Trunk before it is over.

I honestly think they should line up all of the contractors employees in a neat row with three things: A length of CAT5 Cable, a pair of Lineman's Pliers and a 12 Gauge Shotgun;

Invite one person from the row to cut the CAT5 cable with the linesman's pliers, and after he does, promptly shoot him. This will, under no uncertain terms, ensure that no wires get cut.
                    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I was on a job today and I seriously suspects bad cables.....
                      Tommorow I'l bring a cable tester and a couple of other toys

Comment

Working...
                      X