Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about buying a Matrox Parhelia for surround gaming? Well, think again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about buying a Matrox Parhelia for surround gaming? Well, think again...

(note: I'm posting this...um...everywhere)

I bought a Matrox Parhelia w/3 17" monitors for Surround Gaming purporses. Yes, I know it's overpriced. Yes, I know it performs at Geforce 3 speeds. I could live with both of these aspects of the card. It's 2D quality is beyond great, and having 3 monitors worth of desktop is terrific for net surfing. I really want to be a happy Matrox fanboy. HOWEVER, when I buy a $400 videocard for surround gaming, I expect it to actually work in games. This card does not. Flaming rant mode is now ON!

Here's a list of games I have tried with the card:

1. Half Life: Works fine, does not support surround gaming.
    2. Freespace 2: Work fine, does not support surround gaming.
    3. America's Army: Works fine, supports surround gaming.
    4. Reef Demo (came with card): Works fine, supports surround 3D.
    5. IG3 Demo (came with card): Works fine, supports surround gaming.
    6. No One Lives Forever2 Ohio Teaser Level: Works fine, does not support surround gaming.
    7. 3dMark2001: Works fine, can be run in surround gaming resoulutions, but image is stretched.
    8. Codecreatures Benchmark Pro: Works fine, supports surround gaming, with stretched images.

Ok, so far so good. A few games don't support surround gaming, but that was to be expected. But here comes the world of hurt.

9. Unreal Tournament: Works fine, except the menus and in game text get corrupted if you change the resolution or run the game twice without rebooting. Claims to support surround gaming, but I sure as hell can't get it to work correctly (the image only shows up on the leftmost monitor and a little bit of the middle one, rest is blank).
    10. Quake 3: Supports surround gaming, but spontaneously reboots during play, and all in-game menus and text are unreadable in surround mode.
    11. GTA3: Supports surround gaming, but image is stretched and therefore unusable in that mode. Suffers slowdowns when it is raining. Upon leaving one city and entering another, all textures on buildings and the ground are missing/garbled, although it eventually fixes itself.
    12. AVP2: Works fine, and supports surround gaming, but that only works when cheats are on, so unless you are serving the game, you can't use surround gaming in mulitplayer.
    13. SOF2: Does not support surround gaming. Lights and explosions are slightly corrupted, otherwise works fine.
    14. RTCW: Supports surround gaming, but coronas on lights appear where they would be if you were in single monitor mode (you can shut these off). Sometimes it screws up and doesn't set the FOV correctly, making it unplayable. This happens randomly; it will work fine for one server, and then you leave and the next server is hosed. It also crashes with a "Q293078 - Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" error at random times, as well as whenever the map timelimit is hit.
    15. Crimson Skies: Menu text is garbled, and crashes all clients when you attempt to join a LAN game. Software mode works fine, but I did not spend four hundred dollars on a video card to run a game in software mode.
    16. Kyodai Mahjongg (yes, a tile game): Won't run at all. Crashes with a "IDirect3DDevice can not be made." error.

Oh, and you know the icing on the cake? They haven't updated the drivers for it since July 26th!!!! What the hell have they been doing the last month and a half?

I'm really ready to run over this piece of crud with my car and buy a Geforce 4 Ti 4600 or a ATI 9700. AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Would you send the card to me before running over it with your car, please? I promise I'll return it to you if I'm disappointed with it

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
      Would you send the card to me before running over it with your car, please? I promise I'll return it to you if I'm disappointed with it

AZ
      Haha. Probably I'll either RMA it or Ebay it. Haven't decided for sure, might wait for newer drivers and/or see how UT2003 works on the card.

Comment

Are you running it under Windows XP SP1 and which driver set are you using?

also wouldn't bash the fact their last driver set was released on July 26th... especially considering the release dates for the previous drivers... ATI doesn't do anywhere near that good with theirs, and the only way NVidia does is through leaked drivers...
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I need my mommy
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
            Are you running it under Windows XP SP1 and which driver set are you using?

also wouldn't bash the fact their last driver set was released on July 26th... especially considering the release dates for the previous drivers... ATI doesn't do anywhere near that good with theirs, and the only way NVidia does is through leaked drivers...
            I have not installed Windows XP SP1 yet, since it's not offically released yet, AFAIK. I was going to wait until Windows Update decided it was time (which should be Monday, if I understand correctly). I'm annoyed with the month and half wait because there are SO many issues with the card that I expected something by now. If the card freaking worked, I wouldn't care one way or the other. But it doesn't, so I'm mad.

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
              That's very helpful. If you paid $400 on a video card, and found that it didn't work correctly or crashed in half the games you tried it, wouldn't you be mad too???

Comment

I would have the sense to ask for help in a mature manner instead of constantly ranting and raving about what a POS it is... you know you can attract more bee's with honey that you can with vinegar.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I would have the sense to ask for help in a mature manner instead of constantly ranting and raving about what a POS it is... you know you can attract more bee's with honey that you can with vinegar.
                  Ok, true enough...but do you have a solution for even one of the problems I listed? No card should have so many problems with so many major games, IMHO. Right now I'm a bit peeved off, since I just spent several hours ATTEMPTING to play RTCW in surround mode. It's beautiful when it works-which isn't often. If the card was cheap, I would expect some problems. But for a $400 card, I expect it to work. Period. The only game that I've tried that works in Surround Mode appears to be America's Army, and AVP2 single player. Nothing else works properly in Surround Mode. Hence the title of this post.

Comment

since both ATI and NVidia ship cards for $400, i no longer expect video cards to be perfect for that amount. even the $800 video cards are not perfect.

like i said, other video card manufactuers have a hard time doing month and a half turn around times for new driver sets as well, and the Radeon 8500 still has problems which have not been resolved... people are still saying the GF4 has issues... and buying a 9700 right now because the matrox card has problems would be stupid because you would be having to deal with ATI's problems with their first several driver releases.

never had problems with things rebooting when i was trying to use surround gaming.

i just tried SoF2 last night and didn't have any problems with it on my P.

most of the other games you listed i have not tried in a while, so i could try to reinstall them and see if i have problems.

as far as surround gaming stuff goes, most of those games were not designed to run in surround gaming, and have been hacked into doing it. it is up to the producer of the software to properly support and implement Surround Gaming.
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Moved to Matrox Gaming
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Well seeing that you hold nothing back when it comes to slamming P wherever you go due to your insolent mentality, go elsewhere for help.

btw help isn't your aim anyway, it's just a meandering half cocked whine fest.

Indeed.

Comment

She'll tell you to grow up and act responsibly instead of posting innane crap.

Oh yeah - EAT UR GREENS!!!!
                          "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

µße®LørÐ - A legend in his underwear
                          Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
                          DriverHeaven administrator
                          PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

Watch it or I'll make you eat Brussel sprouts with me!

Comment

I'd suggest posting the problems you have in the Matrox bugfix forum...
                              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X