XP 1600+ Vcore problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP 1600+ Vcore problem

I have an ECS K7S5A mobo with a XP 1600+ in it. When I started the PC, I went into the BIOS to change the FSB to 133MHz and noticed that the Vcore was shown as 1.728V instead of 1.75V. The PC can get past POST but can't start Win2K. If I set the FSB back to 100MHz everything works, but the CPU only runs at 1.05GHz. 100FSB/133RAM doesn't seem to work either, so I'm thinking it might be faulty RAM. I'm going to try some different RAM modules now, but could the 1.728V Vcore be causing the problem?

System specs:
    ECS K7S5A
    AMD XP 1600+
    384MB of Crucial 7E PC133 (1 x 256MB, 1 x 128MB)
    Matrox G400MAX
    Linksys LNE100TX NIC
    Seagate Barracuda IV 40GB HD
    Antec SL300S 300W PSU

BTW, CPU temperature is 37C at startup, so I don't think it's a heat problem.

If you suspect RAM then go to www.simmtester.com and get DocMemory to test it out. That's how I found out why my system was always crashing.

As far as the vcore, I'm not sure. Only thing I can suggest is to increase it and see what happens, say to 1.80V?
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Another proggy you can use is Memtest86...
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

The K7S5A has absolutely no overclocking options. Only the FSB can be changed (either 100MHz or 133MHz). The o/c BIOS allows you to change the FSB but still not the VCore or multiplier.

Thanks for reminding me of memtest86, now I just have to find the disk I put it on...

Comment

memtest86 doesn't work correctly with DDR. I've seen the problem myself, and so have some local shops around here.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'm using PC133, not DDR.

If I run 133FSB/133RAM, Memtest86 locks up almost immediately - a few seconds after it starts. This is on "safe" memory timings. 100FSB/133RAM makes it lock up after eight minutes or so. Also on "safe" memory timings. At 100FSB/100RAM it completes two passes without any problems. At this setting I used "ultra" memory timings.

I also switched out the Antec PSU for a PC P&C Turbo-Cool 350W PSU, but that didn't change much - Win2K still doesn't start up. Going to try some other RAM modules next.

Comment

Working...
            X