A few more problems/questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few more problems/questions

Okay, I kinda put the lilo problem on the backburner for now, because like someone said, "who needs windows?" I already got most of what I need, just a few more installs and configurations and I really won't need windows at all.

I compile, make and make install gimp 1.2.3 with no errors, but a few of the essential tools don't get put where they are supposed to be. user_install and gimptools for example won't be "installed" into the correct locations. I think I can just copy them over, but I can't be sure I got everything. Any clues why this is happening? Looked around and found one person with the same problem, but no one answered him

Can't seem to get xawtv compiled. It can't seem to find GL/glu.h. This is part of opengl and should come with X, right? I installed the beta matrox drivers, but without DRI because I don't know if I have agpgart installed. I don't think I need to install those drivers for xawtv to work anyways. Also do I need the v4l kernel patch? How can I find out if my kernel already has it?

Maybe I should ask this in Desktop Video, but what is the huffyuv and virtualdub of Linux? Don't really want to use MJPEG if encoding to Xvid or something.

An annoying problem on my laptop with gdm login. In /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions there are the scripts for selecting and loading window managers. I copied one of them and edited for Blackbox. I then chmod a+x, logged out and it worked. When I reboot something changes the permissions and it isn't allowed to execute and thus does not show up as a choice in the gnome's login screen. Tried to use gnome's login configurator but when I do the add session it won't allow me to type in the commands to load that session. I lets me edit the gnome and sawfish scripts, but not any new ones I create.

Also on my laptop I just installed the latest pcmcia-cs and got my LANmodem card working. Now it takes a long time during boot to detect pcmcia. Once it detects the card correctly it can't load the modules, yet when I am in Linux I can access the network and use the modem just fine. So this is just another annoyance because it takes a looong time to load. Is there anything I can do to speed up the time it takes to detec the card?

I guess I'll keep this forum going until another newb comes along or I actually get everything working...
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan
Working...
X