• Show
Clear All

• Watercooling!

Watercooling!

It has arrived!

The Poseidon Wcl-02 from 3R…

Aluminum water block

Aluminum radiator

The supplier (yes the one with the inane idea that an athlon runs best at 50c) says that it works up to an athlon 1700XP…

The pump that was supplied was not easy to fit inside the reservoir if I hadn’t had extra tubing that were larger I would have been very very frustrated right now

The manual states that waterflow should be:

1. Water tank out
    2. Radiator in->out
    3. Cpu water block in->out
    4. Water tank in

is that correct?

Is it necessary with distilled water?

Any fun guidelines I should follow?

I am going to test it on my old P3 800 before using it in my main system….(and of coarse run it one or more hours to see if there is any leaks before letting it lose inside a system )
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Distilled water is free of contaminates that cause a meriad of corrosion issues including galvanic action being kept to a minimum.

Yes that's correct. You want all the heat being induced into the water before it enters the radiator so the coolest water (rad. out) goes to the waterjacket.

Just make sure that external cool air is being drawn through the radiator. And always suck air through the radiator, never blow onto it (improved laminar airflow improves cooling effeciency)

and...

We want to see pics!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yes! Pics!

If you want extra protection against corrosion & all kinds of life in your water, add G12 (corrosion protection for cars - but be sure it is for cars that contain both aluminium and copper!). This will reduce cooling just a tiny bit.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

No pics = no fun for the rest of us.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

...go here
          See it does look pretty, but can you see all those fans? Noise!! Enter the watercooling.

or here

check the pics, ha!
          How can you possibly take anything seriously?
          Who cares?

Comment

I get my camera back saturday or sunday.
            So I will ofcoarse post lots of pics then.

Distiled water can be bought at a gas station? or?

I will probably get a better waterblock later....

This system is also sold under the name "Iceberg".....
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

...sorry Tech, this is the good one

How can you possibly take anything seriously?
              Who cares?

Comment

Yo Technoid! How much does it cost to install one of them puppies? Cause i was thinking of getting a new heartsink/fan to replace my....*gulp*...coolermaster with a GlobalWin CAKII-38.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

The american price is suposed to be 100$

It will cost me aprox 124$ and the retail price if we sell it is:160$ (benefits of working in the biz)

Comment

Well considering it's only suppose to cool an XP1700+ to the low 50c range I wouldn't expect it to cost much more.

For shits and giggles lets presume 68 watts for the cpu peak with a room ambient of 25c and a peak temp of... oh say 52c. With that given then we have a temp rise of 27c so the C/W rating would be ~0.40 which is very high.

Enter my setup which cost ~$80. XP1800+ clocked to XP2k speed and an increase of core voltage so that the peak power is ~100w. With a room ambient of 27c and a core temp of 52c peak nets 25c rise. So this would be rated at 0.25 C/W. Still not high end by any means, but then I wasn't after that, just looking for cool and quiet operation for cheap.
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I found a page where i think it cooled a 1700+ belove 40c at 22 ambient...
                      Babelfish did the reading

Besides:

The suplyer is a airhead

Sold Remarked Codegen 250w as 300W
                      Last edited by Technoid; 7 September 2002, 12:16.

Comment

OK then I'd like to see what your measurements are (reading from the cpu's core, not an external thermistor)

Even at that 22c is abnormally cool for indoor temps or are they measuring ambient case temp as so often is incorrectly used?

Either way I'd like to see what you're reading

Comment

That�s why I am testing it on the P3 first�.

The cpu-core diode might not show 100% accurate but is has been 100% constant in its values

And I know that with the same HS on the Athlon is about 5-10c hotter! (and to believe that I thought that the P3 was a hot bastard when I bought it )
                          Last edited by Technoid; 7 September 2002, 14:11.

Comment

Installing a water block in a cramped case is not a joyful experience….

Ambient temp in room measured with an ordinary thermometer: 25.5

Idle temp 40c
                            Full Load temp 46c (and I let it work for an whole hour)

Remember something about that P3 it is only about 5 degrees cooler than my athlon with same HS and Fan…..

That made me very very confused at the time …..

Comment

Just discovered something!
                              My motherboard was "happy measuring" the fan RPM's...

Instead of 3000 it was only 2500

I will change to a 3000 fan as the one I use on the Alpha 8045 I got in my main rig! I will also test it with a 92 mm fan!

It should make it look better!

Comment

Working...
                              X