Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vinal recordings you wanna listen to? - heres a digital stylus method!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinal recordings you wanna listen to? - heres a digital stylus method!

Nifty experiment here
    Lawrence

Wonderfull !
    How did he come up with that (and manage to pull it off !).

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Best example of leteral thinking I have seen in a while.
      Lawrence

Comment

it's vinyl not vinal

anyway i think it's fake. if not then i don't like it anyway because it kills the magic that vinyl has.
        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Actually some years back (>10) a company made a laser pickup/turntable specifically for reading vinyl recordings and it was extremely expensive to say the least.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah here it is... couldn't remember their name

ELP Laser Turntable ELP Laser Turntable Official English Site Learn about the original Laser Turntable for Vinyl Records. No Contact, No Wear.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Well, it's absolutely not useful this way anyway. Dunno about that laser pickup thingy, I believe some people who'd otherwise buy mark levinson if they need something cheap would buy that stuff, too (Interesting nonetheless - the turntable, not that scanning crap)

Only way to digitalize Vinyl: Turntable --> preamp (c't had a project to build one, if anyone is interested I'll try if I can get it into my PC) --> Hi-Q soundcard --> declicker/denoiser (if you don't want that vintage sound) --> your audio compression format of choice.

AZ

[EDIT: It's the only way for ordinary people, at least Doable with the equipment you're quite likey to own anyway - thanks Greebe for correcting me]
              Last edited by az; 6 September 2002, 06:38.
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

For those who cannot afford an ELP laser turntable you can have any one of several companies make a analog to digital transfer using an ELP turntable. For example...

Audio transfer and sound restoration to CD of LP, 78rpm, 45rpm, 8-track, reel, cassette. Clean up the sound of the original recording. Remove crackles, pops and scratches, signs of aging or heavy use. Since 1990.

Comment

Is it not interesting though that Voyager used a vinyl (not vinyl.. GOLD) LP record with instructions to make a simple playback device? I know it was before CDs, but their reasoning was that even a very average tinkerer could figure out a way to get the information off the record. A digital format, without the proper decoding mechanism, would be much tougher to read.

Comment

The Voyager record also had images encoded on it, for the aliens that haven't advanced from laser disks to DVD's yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X