TV-Out Gamma Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV-Out Gamma Problem

OK, here's the problem. I received my Parhelia a while ago, and it's been chugging along like a trooper, no probs at all. I tested TV-out the first day, and it looked just fine. However, last night I wanted to run a new DVD out to the TV for the kids, and noticed that the TV image keep changing in brightness. THe change was more square-wave (With rounded edges) not sinusoidal, with a period of about 2-3 seconds. the amplitude varied, in extremes the darkest part was almost unviewable, with the brightest being about as bright as it should be. I mucked around with the powerdesk settings, but nothing fixed the problem. I tested many DVD sources, including a "Virtual DVD" application I have, and even went Dual head. The problem was consistent, even the desktop in Dual Head was doing it. This was not happening when I first got my card, so I doubt it is some conflict with any software/hardware. My system is:
    Pentium 4 1.6 @ 2.133
    Asus P4T-E
    512MB PC1066 RDRAM
    Hercules Muse soundcard (My SBLive died!)
    Intel NIC
    300W power supply
    40GB Fujitsu HDD
    9GB Quantum Fireball+ HDD
    Pioneer 106s Slot feed DVD
    24X CD-ROM.
    I truck the TV-Out around the living room through a 10 metre cable, although as I said, I have never seen this gamma prob before, and I have always used this cable.
    I checked for proximity to power cords, and reseated the DVI adaptor, VGA Splitter, and TV-Out Cable. The only changes made to my system since first testing it, is to go from 256 MB PC800 RDRAm, to 512MB RDRAM, although I can't see that as being an issue!
    err, any ideas?
    Life is a ride
    Like days on a train
    Cities rush by
    Like ghosts in the night

Well, my first thought is to connect the TV with a very short cable, and confirm that the problem is still there.
    Tilable Desktop Backgrounds, perfect for DualHead: http://bg.rifetech.com/

Comment

Sounds like the macrovision is playing you. With earlier Matrox cards there would be a simple registry hack to remove this. I do not know if this is possible with the Parhelia.

Macrovision is a copy-protection technology designed to make copying DVDs to a VCR harder.

Comment

Hmm, interesting,

I tested this again, using my LOTR DVD, which is NOT protected, and, No flickering! I am certain this was also flickering yesterday!

I am getting to think this is a macrovision thing, as I am sending the signal to a VCR. I will test going stright to teh TV, although that is a pain to get to.
        Life is a ride
        Like days on a train
        Cities rush by
        Like ghosts in the night

Comment

Working...
        X