Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Maxtor ATA Drives only 1 year warranty.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Maxtor ATA Drives only 1 year warranty.

StorageReview.com is a world leading independent storage authority. While storage reviews is in the name, we look at the entire IT stack.

An interesting development accompanies this product announcement. Starting October 1st, the warranty on Maxtor's standard ATA drives will be one year in length, down from the three years that Maxtor and many competitors currently offer on their desktop units.
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

A good warranty can mean good business, even if your product may not best.

I say to 1 year warranty, expecially on hdd's!
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Only 1 year warranty for my IBM GXP60-40GB. After 8 months it crashed, but I recovered it anyway with 3-4 MB bad clusters, not covered by the warranty.
      A WD worked 2 years error free, and a small Fujitsu is out of warranty since 3 years ago.
      Just bought a new Maxtor D740X-FDB 80GB-fluid bearing with 1 year warranty. I hope it will be better than the IBM and after 1 year I don't care about the warranty anymore.
      A 3 years old HD is an old HD...

Fred H
      It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
      ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Yes but without a warrenty how are you going to persuade Joe Bloggs to buy a new hard drive. He's got 80gig using only 20 gig and this can be brought down to 10gig. He ain't go buy a new one.
        So the only way you're going to do it is by either making hard drives much faster or by making the drive fail. If the drive fails during warrenty period you ain't making money. So you make it shorter warrenty in line with everyone else.
        Okay I'm tongue in cheek over this one but look at how many hard drives fail these days.
        Last edited by The PIT; 5 September 2002, 13:20.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well...get used to them. IBM & WD are already at 1 year and I would expect others to follow suit for the reasons stated above.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

not in the EU (or only in germany, i'm not sure) you got to give 24months of warranty here.
            Last edited by thop; 5 September 2002, 13:23.
            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Wrong Fujitsu europe one year unless they've changed it in last few months.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

it's a law, you have to give 24 months (since 1.1.2002).

Comment

Fred you can argue that 3 years is a long time to use a desktop drive, but one year is not. Even if I don't use my drives so very long I expect them to have a warranty of at least 3 years.

IDE disks should be manufactured with the same quality as SCSI disks. There is a bigger market than many manufacturers beleive for quality products. Even if they cost a little bit more.

I get the impression that most manufacturers prefer to make cheap lower quality drives.
                  Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Originally posted by thop
                    it's a law, you have to give 24 months (since 1.1.2002).
                    Well no one told Fujistu Europe about it. My drive failed one month outside the one year warrenty and they said get lost.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It's currently a european guideline.

"According to a new guideline of the European Community, to be converted into national law before the end of the year 2002, manufacturers must grant a warranty period of at least two years for their products."

Comment

Originally posted by KeiFront
                        It's currently a european guideline.

"According to a new guideline of the European Community, to be converted into national law before the end of the year 2002, manufacturers must grant a warranty period of at least two years for their products."
                        Thanks I thought it wasn't law.
                        That means Joe BLoggs maybe be able get a replacement 80gig in a year and a half.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well, it's already a law in germany. Along with the law that anything (except things like food, etc.) you buy over phone, catalog, or the net MUST be taken back within a two week period by the dealer if you decide you don't like it. You don't have to state a reason and you get your money back.

AZ
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

well like i already said it's a law (edit: at least in germany, i just read other posts) and not voluntary it doesn't matter what they say, if they don't replace the drive you can sue them and you will get your drive. or just kindly remind them about it.
                            however you only get 24months if you bought your drive after 1.1.2002.

Comment

These shorter warranties are to be expected. As everything gets smaller, the stability of the data decreases greatly. Just they other day you guys were discussing Seagate's laser-heating of the platter - doesn't that sound a bit less long-lived to you?
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X