Maxtor Diamond Max 60GB 9ms UDMA66 HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxtor Diamond Max 60GB 9ms UDMA66 HDD

Saw a $299 retail store price today. Doc, do you know of any better deals on this one? I checked one or two internet sellers and $299 seems to be the norm (they don't have it in stock though). The store has it now.

I'd rather go with the smaller 40g DiamondMax Plus 40. It's a 7,200 rpm drive while the 60g is a 5,400 rpm drive. The 7,200's are MUCH faster and better suited to video. They also run about $225 mail order now.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 10 July 2000).]

Comment

Okay, Thanks. Staples also has the 40GB at about $249.. Considering s/h I might as well get it. I did not realize I was looking at the slower one yesterday. I just looked at the capacity and price and got excited. So the 40GB is a ATA-66 7200RPM. It's called DiamondMax Plus, isn't it? I assume it has the same big buffer as that 60 gigger. It boasts 2048kb's.

Comment

I just got a 30GB Maxtor 7200 rpm, UDMA66 HDD
        at Best Buy for $169, the same price I spent for my 13.6GB about 6mo. ago. 2MB buffer, <9ms access time. They had a 40GB, and I think it was $249.

Comment

JWilliams, Thanks for the tip. I got the 40GB version tonight at Staples. BB was a thought, but a while back they hassled me on a DEFECTIVE return. I vowed to never forget and I never forgot.

Doc I might get some guidance from you on setting up a RAID array soon. When the price on these drop some more I will add one more 40 gigger. I'm tempted to try that modification on Promise Ultra 66 but as successful as it has been, I will surely be the one who fries a few capacitors on the motherboard. RAID's have come down. I'll just buy one and sell the Ultra 66 for what it will bring. Anyway, now I feel like I'm getting somewhere. Having more drive "real estate" makes me feel like moving forward.

Doc, what's the P3B-F bios version you are now using?

Comment

Working...
          X