Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Unveils Windows Media 9

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Persoanlly, I thinks it's something to avoid..
    paulw

Comment

I havenĀ“t read the article yet, but why should it be avoided?
      -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
      2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
      Matrox Parhelia 128
      Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
      Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
      Maxtor 300 GB for video
      Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
      Win XP Pro

At work:
      Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
      Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

Little doubt, it will contain more software to tell Bill what you do on your computer. However, Palladium will make the contentious issues of XP and SP3 look like a Fisher-Price toy and I guess any new software will be, if not Palladium-compatible, at least approaching that goal.

Do you realise that Palladium will give Bill the right to certify every software before it can be used. That will mean not only no more warez (good), no more freeware, shareware or software produced by companies that Bill does not like? Not even upgrades or patches. Theoretically, it could mean that if you send a file to anyone, even an e-mail, the guy at the other end will not be able to open it unless he has your specific key for that file. It also means that if your computer does not have a Palladium chip, you won't be able to open it, anyway.

The next version of Windows, scheduled for 2004, will be able to run only on computers with a Palladium chip, if my sources are right and nothing happens in the meanwhile.

Big Brother Gates will be watching you.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Well if that is the case i am sure that we will all be lined up waiting to buy it. They can't seriously think that somehting like that would be marketable do they?

Doesn't matter what or what it doesn't do if know one buys it.
          WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

All that will do is open the door for another OS.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I agree. Brian, the world isnĀ“t as bad as you think (I hope......)

landrover
              -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
              2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
              Matrox Parhelia 128
              Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
              Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
              Maxtor 300 GB for video
              Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
              Win XP Pro

At work:
              Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
              Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

He will certainly have to back down a goodly way or he;ll be shooting himself in the foot. There are already 50 k responses if you Google Microsoft Palladium

Comment

I found the following in a different netlist:

In a surprise move yesterday Microsoft released an near "Release Candidate" beta of the forthcoming Windows Media Services 9.x WITHOUT the controversial "new" EULA, with versions available for Windows'98 SE, Windows'ME, Windows'2000 and Windows'XP.

Aside from the apparent back-pedalling on the controversial EULA, the two most significant features in this release is the user's ability to turn of software's capability to "phone home" (not at all possible under 8.x, nor required with versions 7.x or earlier) and otherwise monitor system behaviour, and the much wanted, and sorely needed, capability to back-up, and otherwise archive, DRM licenses on an alternate media in case of system failure.

Additionally, MPEG-4 support is now included along side the limited support for earlier MP3 as provided with prior releases.

For those concerned about Microsoft's increasingly intrusive EULA's and their privacy, I would suggest they download this now, before Microsoft again changes their mind.

Available here:

Warren C. E. Austin

Comment

Here's the link to the beta if anybody is wanting to try it.

Jerry Jones
                    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Is there a reason why the non-XP version is 50% more bloatware than the XP version? I've gon idea but let's hear what you have to say.

Comment

Guys,
                        I've tried it, and although it has it's problems playing back DVD's (video shifts to right) it now supports Dolbby Digital via Spdif, and video quality is awesome.

if you follow this link, people are already creating streaming media using the new Media player 9 codec.

The link is to preview the new game Halo 2, the quality is AWESOME!

Anyway aside from the codec quality, Windows media 9 is so bloated it will take you a few days just to get rid of all the crappy internet links it keeps poping up and the options are weak at best.

The codec is good though

Cheers,
                        Elie

Comment

Good. Maybe we can just get the d**n codec for the RT.X100's MediaExport and be done with the rest

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

God, you're brave, Elie

Comment

I have given it a try yesterday.

It would'nt install properly at first and an error message kept popping out. Then I made a fersh install of Windows 98SE and had no problems. I'm not all that impressed but to be honest it did (perhaps) correct some minor problems with UMSP video editor's prieview window and also the playback of large clips.

I am not concerned about internet problems since all my video editing software is on a machine that has no internet hardware, so Bill($ikes)Gates can't get at me.

Regards,

Debbie
                              We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

Working...
                              X