Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutting up my chipset cooler.....

Think I asked this here before....

On my Asus A7V133 mobo there is a heatsink + fan on the chipset. And that little thing is responsible for pretty much all the noise comming from my machine. WIthout it my machine would be virtually soundless.

The problem is not so much the fan as itr is the combination of fan and heatsink.... the fan alone makes no noise, but as soon as I place is on the heatsink it spells trouble. I tried putting something between the fan and heatsink with no change.

I'm seriously considering replacing my mobo just to get rid of that noisy little thing... but then ofcourse I might have to get new RAM etc.. and before I know it I'll have spent a fortune.

So to make it short... anybody have some chipset cooler silencing tips?
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

I have the same board, and I changed the heatsink/fan with one from Thermaltake. Makes no more noise!

ThermalTake
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Thanks Zokes

After browsing around a bit I found more than a few people using it to solve the exact same problem, so I think I'll give it a try as well.
      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

No problemo!

Edit: I bought mine for around 20$ canadian, so it's definetely worth the investement, plus it comes with a pile of useful stuff too! (like thermal grease, power adapters, and the kit I got came with video ram heatsinks!)
        Last edited by ZokesPro; 4 September 2002, 15:34.

Comment

Or you could get a cheap Zalman chipset heatsink, which installs with no hassle whatsoever, costs 9$ and offers top notch quiet cooling.
          All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

h this instead of the blue orb!
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Or simply get any passive heatsink & glue it (with thermal conductive, of course) to the chipset. If other KT133 chipsets work absolutely without problems with only a passive cooler, why should the A7V133's be different? This will be cheaper and even quieter than any active chipset cooler you'll find.

Unless you plan on overclocking the buses, of course.

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Which ever one you choose is good, as long as you can get rid of the old one. As far as I'm concerned the old chipset cooler sucks!

And if you can find the crystal orb (it's made of copper) then that would be the best imo, plus it looks freaking cool if your case has a window!

Comment

No Fan: No noise, no fear of trashed bearings, one free fan header, cheaper, and entirely sufficient.

Fan: Noise (however quiet it is, it produces noise), the potential problems of a failing bearing, more expensive (howevr cheap it is, it will never be as cheap as a passive heatsink).

Maybe even your original heatsink without fan would suffice.

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Thanks all

After a little consideration I've decided to go for the Zalman heatsink. No fan means one less fan to generate noise..... I found it at a local store and it's orange aluminium, which does not look entirely uncool either.... though my case does not have a window

And I do agree with Zokes... the old chipset cooler sucks royally! It rattles and makes all kinds of weird noises.

Comment

Not to mention that it heats up so quickly!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X