P Users - XP SP1 has problems with P Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P Users - XP SP1 has problems with P Drivers

XP SP1 introduces several changes to Direct3d that have problems with the current P drivers (4.31). the problems i have personally had with it is graphics corruption inside 3d applications after a video mode switch, reproducable in 2 different programs (the, uhh, only two direct3d games i have been playing as of recent: Battlefield 1942 MP demo and Everquest). Specific problems both programs will get corrupt textures and icons in game, BF1942 only does it after the initial set up screen and EQ does it if you try to change video modes in game.

granted, it could possibly be a machine specific problem, either related to hardware or software installed in it. if you do install XP SP1 i would highly suggest archiving the original files so you can possibly uninstall it. At least until a fix is out. i had hoped that the next set of drivers would have been released by now, and it should be soon. and maybe you won't have problems.

just a heads up and of course i'm only speaking from my experience, your milage may vary.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

OK here with the drivers the mods wont let us talk about, but haven't tested in those games yet...
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

everything else is operating normally with it, it just seems to be those two games and only when a video mode change is involved.

of course, i don't have any other D3D games installed at the moment...

again, milage may vary... problems may pop up in other places, or you may not see these problems...
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Have you've tried OpenGL apps?

When I ran Windows .NET Server RC1, which is WinXP + SP1 + server stuff, my system rebooted as soon as I ran something OpenGL related.
        <font size="-4">User error:
        Replace user and try again.
        System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
        System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
        </font>

Comment

Originally posted by Zao
          Have you've tried OpenGL apps?

When I ran Windows .NET Server RC1, which is WinXP + SP1 + server stuff, my system rebooted as soon as I ran something OpenGL related.
          .NET Server is a very different OS than XP and SP1. *very* different. there have been a number of changes to .NET that have not found their way back into XP or SP1.

again, everything else is fine. OpenGL runs fine. it just seems to be a problem relating to D3D.

Comment

I'll see if I can test those apps when I get home...
            Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I also reproduced these problems on another computer with a fresh install of Windows and the latest (official) drivers. same problem....

Comment

There is more, but I don't know if it's P related: if you use the DesktopManager PowerToy from MS, and you switch back and forth between desktops, after a period of time windows will disappear. They will be on the taskbar, but minimized to 1 pixel size so you will never see them again. After closing the app and restarting, it will start with the smallest possible window size (since 1 pixel large isnt a valid size) in the top left corner of the screen. If you screw something up when it loses those windows, and make explorer.exe crash, they will have disappeared completely, only showing in the taskmanager.
                Since I currently only have 1 computer, I dont have the means to verify, but this behaviour started after installing SP1, and stopped after I used a restore point to rollback to pre-sp1.
                Tyan Thunder K7|2x AMD AthlonMP 1.2GHz|4x 512MB reg. ECC|Matrox Parhelia 128|Full specs

Comment

Working...
                X