Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for p4 setup?

Hello All!

My brother has asked me to build him a new pc and I'm looking for hardware suggestions. The main purpose for the pc will be gaming.

I'm considering going with the arstechnica 'hot rod' as the basic setup but want to go with an Intel p4-based cpu/mobo. I read a great review for the SiS648 chipset on the Shuttle motherboard but have been unable to find it.

Does anyone have experience with the other p4 chipsets and motherboards (or can you direct me to good user reviews)? I'd like to hear what people have found to be a solid mobo. I'd like to avoid any motherboard taking RAMbus (like my asus p4t, for example). Built-in firewire and usb would be cool but given how cheap the cards are, they're not essential to have on the mobo.

Next is the video card. Again...my brother will be doing more gaming than anything else (although it might be nice for him to have the ability to capture and/or output video). People seem to regard the Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4600 pretty highly but I'd like to hear other's comments, as well.

The last part that I'd like comments/recommendations/etc on are 21" monitors. I've been looking at the Hitachi V810-511, Sony CPD-E540 and Viewsonic G810 but would like to hear from anyone with 21" monitor experiences (or, again, a url for user reviews).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or recommendations!
    -funsoul
    mmedia pc: 2x2.4/533 xeons@3.337ghz, asus pc-dl, 2g pc3500 ddram, 27g primary, 2x120 WD's, promise fastrack100, matrox g400-tv, hercules soundcard Server box: p4 1.4GHz, asus p4t, 1g ecc rdram, 27.3g primary, 3x80g maxtors, promise fastrack66, radeon ve, soundblaster Beat box: p3 500, asus p3bf6, 1024meg pc100, 45g primary, 3x45g maxtors, soundblaster, radeon ve, dazzle vcII

Hi,

what price range for all components are we talking about ?

Rakido
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

looking to spend in the $2,200 to $2,500 range all in
      mmedia pc: 2x2.4/533 xeons@3.337ghz, asus pc-dl, 2g pc3500 ddram, 27g primary, 2x120 WD's, promise fastrack100, matrox g400-tv, hercules soundcard Server box: p4 1.4GHz, asus p4t, 1g ecc rdram, 27.3g primary, 3x80g maxtors, promise fastrack66, radeon ve, soundblaster Beat box: p3 500, asus p3bf6, 1024meg pc100, 45g primary, 3x45g maxtors, soundblaster, radeon ve, dazzle vcII

Comment

Must it be P4 based?
        Athlon XP seems to have better price/performance ratio in terms of gaming.

Ever thought about 9700?
        P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
        Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
        And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Hi WyWy

For stability the p4 still seems the best choice. My brother is very non-technical and the case will probably never be opened by him. Also....since he lives a few 1000 miles away I won't be able to stop by for minor repairs.

You mean the Radeon 9700? I've heard that's a very nice card as well but really don't know much about it.

Comment

Suggestions for p4 setup?
            Yes. Athlon XP 2400+ and MSI 745

And spend the whole bunch of money you just saved and invest it on good quality RAM, video card (Radeon 9700 is the reference by now) and monitor

Sorry, but with the new Thoroughbred stepping 1 core (2400+ and 2600+) and a good chipset alternative (SiS) there´s simply no reason to buy Intel again. Unless someone just have to got the latest and the greatest (P4 2.8 and RDRAM) or is a die-hard Intel fan.

You may also want to wait for the SiS 746 chipset that has AGP 8x, firewire, serial ata and so on.

Comment

Sorry I didn´t realize your last post. The idea is the same though.

For stability the p4 still seems the best choice.
              Why?

Comment

Hi Nuno

Yeah...I tend to lean to the Intels but am open to considering the AMDs.

I don't know MSI mobos but would gather that your experience has been a good one.

Timing is an issue as he'll be here in about a month and wants whatever is put together to be ready by then. I'm hoping to get the orders placed within the next week or 2.

Comment

Ok. Here we go. You can read other threads on the subject here:

Where everybody generaly like SiS solutions as they stand now.

I do not own a MSI board, but a ECS K7S5A (SiS 735) instead. But there are some MSI users that say wonders about the board.

Most AMD "stability problems", besides ancient rumors (from the times of AMD 486/K5) are almost all the times caused by VIA chipsets based motherboards. Despite slightly faster on some aspects than SiS chipsets (like low res gaming) I'm not comfortable recomending any VIA system for now. To much bugs/patches/troubles/PCI issues.

The Athlon is much more cost effective than the P4. Intel may have regained the speed crown with the 2.8 Ghz but at a premium price. Actually it´s impressive how a CPU 700 Mhz faster, with twice the bandwidth, can even afford to loose on several tests. http://www.xbitlabs.com/cpu/p4-2800/

Comment

For monitors, I recommend the Cornerstone series from
                    Their service is excellent and their monitors are very high quality for a very fair price. Basically, get something that does 1600x1200x85Hz atleast http://www.monitorsdirect.com

***Very Important***
                    If you value stability, do not try to save money on a cheap powersupply: Get a good Antec or Enermax model...personally I prefer the Antec TruePower series.

If all you care about is stability in a motherboard, stick to either Intel, Supermicro, or AOpen, and maybe Asus, with an Intel chipset and processor. These are the most stable motherboards I've dealt with.

For a processor, you can get a P4 2.4 or 2.53 GHz for about $300-$350 OEM. However, I have found that you can save some money by going AMD. And even my Athlon XP/Via KT333 have been very stable. So the choice is yours.

Comment

If you want a stable solution go for an Intel solution and Intel chipset costs more but less messing around. Alternatively P4 and a SIS chipset which is working quiet well for me at the moment.
                      If you like an more interesting life go for AMD Via option and don't be surprised of what could go wrong.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

A P4 2.53 gives very similar performance to a 2600+ (or a P4 2.4 and a 2400+), costs the same, and is available unlike the AMD part. Pair one of these with a Asus P4B533 and your brother will have a high performing system that sets the standard for quality and compatibility. If you choose to spend a little more money and get some more performance, get the P4T533-C and PC1066 RDRAM. Right now there is no reason to pick an AMD system in this price range unless you see Intel as the anti-christ.

Unlike some of the people recommending Cornerstone in other threads, review after review shows that there are significantly better monitors out there. (IMHO go with Sony or NEC/Mitsubishi) Whatever you do, DO NOT choose a shadowmask monitor for gaming, their colors are almost as bad as LCDs. :/

With the monitors you listed, I would go with none of them. Get a high-end 19" monitor like the Sony G420 or Mitsubishi DP920.
                        Last edited by isochar; 4 September 2002, 12:11.

Comment

...I'd suggest what I have, see below, but you said no Rambus.

I've been running it for about a month, other than the Parhelia I got a few days ago, and I have never had a system so stable, so smooth, so problem free or delightful.
                          How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                          Who cares?

Comment

You folks are awesome...thank you! Now I've got to assimilate all the info before making a final choice. Still not sure of which way to go (amd/intel) but appreciate all the feedback so far!

I'd still like to here from others as for specific cpu/mobo/ram combinations but will start a new thread on 21" monitor recommendations

Comment

I say get the MSI SIS 745 board + 512MB of some high quality ram (samsung), if you don't want to have a mess and any Athlon XP faster than 2000+.

If you don't want any hassles a Ti4600 is the way to go. The Geforce series are, face it or not sadly the "de facto" standard.

Comment

Working...
                              X