Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia..Runs like a Fat kid in Gym Class

From http://www.tech-report.com/news_reply.x/4041/1/

Well, I hope you guys enjoyed your weekends. I spent much of mine testing graphics cards, and let me tell you: Even with the latest drivers and a fast Pentium 4 system, the Matrox Parhelia still runs like a fat kid in gym class. I guess I expected some improvement over time, but it just hasn't happened yet. And don't even think about running workstation-class apps on the card. I kicked off SPECviewperf on it, came back later, and thought the system had locked. I waited a while, and the screen updated. One frame at a time.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Well, that pretty much sums up my impression of the Parhelia too..

Comment

Well not mine... I happen to think that it is v. quick and there is nothing I can't run on it happily. In fact I have been most impressed with my Parhelia.
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

It pretty much hits the nail on the head. The minimal occlusion tech (fat kid) and the half-baked drivers (eating disorder) makes the card hop all over the performance charts (fat kid in gym class).

And I'm being somewhat generous, compared to even previous generations from the other titans the Parhelia mostly bottom feeds.

You really shouldn't take it too personally, though. Perceptions don't need truth. That and depending on what you're doing with Parhelia it provides something the other companies cannot. I certainly know my Parhelia is doing something the other companies can't touch. That alone made it worth every penny.
        <a href="http://www.unspacy.com/ryu/systems.htm">Ryu's PCs</a>

Comment

It will probably get slimmed down in time.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

and the screen updated. One frame at a time.

Actually, that's what happening all the time, isn't it ?

Maybe faster, but still...

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
              It will probably get slimmed down in time.
              I think the diet plan is called Parhelia 2.

Comment

Originally posted by isochar

I think the diet plan is called Parhelia 2.
                Haha yeah that it....only three years away (again) woohoo!
                Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

Damn, this is really depressing. I was planning on buying a Parhelia tomorrow, but with all the bad things being said about Parhelia lately, it's making it very hard to justify so much money if the card really isn't very good.

The reason I really wanted Matrox was for 2d quality. They've always had the best. I'll be doing image editing, watching movies, etc... I also want to play games on it as well. Is the 2d quality in the Parhelia really all that much better than the new Radeon? Will I actually be able to notice a difference in the quality and is the difference enough to justify that much money?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Comment

Haha yeah that it....only three years away (again) woohoo!
                    Doubtful. Everybody knows that Matrox Graphics had major problems after the G400 came out, but they still released the G450 and the G550.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'm not saying that it couldn't be better, but I really like my Parhelia...and considering the fact that it's still settling in, good things should come in the future...i've already seen quite a difference in performance and compatibility with the leaked drivers, so I trust Matrox to make my experience an even better one. Video and 2D quality is top notch and if it will run UT2003 or Mafia without much trouble, then I can give the gaming experience a 100% score as well...
                      All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Parhelia is the first vidcard that has made my Samsung 900NF happy at 1600x1200...talk about excellent 2D...
                        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

omg...

thx for telling earlier

Comment

And I wouldn't put too much faith in the bad SPECviewperf scores yet... If I understood correctly the launch of the P 256MB will include the professional 3D drivers for Parhelia... if it still sucks in pro programs and benchmark, then I might get worried (on Matrox's behalf

Cobos
                            My Specs
                            AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

I don't understand quite why this criticism is so strong. On my system (1.2ish Athlon), running with the Parhelia, I get excellent (the best) 2d (this is 70% or more of my time). And I haven't got a game yet where I can't run it with all the settings high at 1024x768 with FAA on. And these games all run v. smoothly - I couldn't really ask for anything quicker, because to be quite honest I wouldn't notice the difference. Maybe the R9700 is better if you spend >30% playing games, otherwise the P is the card to go for.

just my 2p's worth
                              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                              X