This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we attack Iraq

I'm in 2 minds at the moment whether I want British troops to help in the attack of Iraq (without UN support) . loyalties aside to the US, does anyone believe that this is/isnt a just cause.

PS, dont let this turn into an anti US/European slagging match, I just need an open debate because it seems that my government is unable to provide one.

Regards MD
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Just to stir the pot a little:

Iraq and KSA are the largest suppliers of Petroleum in the world.
    Both support terrorists.
    Currently the world is in some kind of peace with KSA (even though they continue sponsoring terrorism worldwide), and in war with Iraq.

If the US starts 'taking care' of the KSA, they'll lose the second big supplier of oil.
    The idea is quite simple here, take care of Iraq and guarantee the oil supplies coming from there. Then you can start taking care of the KSA with minimum risks of affecting oil prices and availability.

Comment

Dogbert, is Oil really what its all about?
      Regards MD
      Interests include:
      Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Iraq poses no threat to the US that Iran, KSA, Sirya, Sudan, North Korea or China doesn't.

Now what's the difference between Iraq and the others ?

The U.S didn't attack Afganistan because of Taliban and dictatorship. The U.S attacked Afganistan in order to get Bin-Laden. Why ? Cause he managed getting to the U.S backyard and hit them strong and hard.

What I'm trying to say is that the U.S doesn't care THAT much about dictatorships and stuff like this (or else it would have been illegal for Amrican countries to use sweatshop workers around the world). The U.S cares about "potential threats". And Oil crisis could affect the world's economy, which is a very BIG threat.

Comment

If we would spend half the money on developing new fuels that we do protecting vested oil interests, we would be free from oil dependence and those f***ers could sit in their desert and starve. (This of course assumes that the castrated "leadership" in the US and Europe would not allow them to all move here and screw things up for us at home, which, being the nutless wonders that they are, is next to impossible..)

Comment

Do you know how many projects for alternative fuels have been bought or otherwise "silences" by people with interests over the years ?

For those who think I'm full of conspiration theories, check why and how the whole world used leaded fuel for years and years when nobody actually needed it.
            It was just because 1 big and very influential company held a patent over the worst and most expensive fuel additive (with lead) and they wanted the world to use theirs.

Comment

Dogbert
              I'm used to conspiracy theories. After-all, I have a 2 year subscription to Nexus .

Maybe a more suiitable question to ask would this forum would be "When are countries going to start managing this planet in an ethical manner".

Regards MD
              Interests include:

Comment

Oh, this one is easy: NEVER

Comment

Dogbert,

You thinking is slightly Flawed there...the US has been importing greater amounts of Oil from our old Enemies...the Russians, over the past couple of years. Japan is Highly dependant on oil from the Mid East. I've been reading since 9/11/2001, The USA has been increasing the Amount of oil in our Stragtic Resevres, so we can blunt the impact of any oil shortages that might come from an embargo from the Mid East.

As for the invasion of Iraq itself..well I'm all for removing Mr. Hussen from power, but theres several things that make me think twice about doing this. First off the US Military is stretched pretty thin, with other obligations in Europe and Afghanstain. I'm sure that the War would last less then 6 months or so, but your still looking at keeping at least 20K troops over there while you build a new goverment and they are fat targets for Terriost attacks like what is happening in your Country.

Next thing that turns my stomach is Mr. Hussen deciding to attack Isreal with Chemical weapons...and Isreal turning parts of Iraq into a radioactive glass parking lot. If your attacked during our invasion, well you have every right to hit back, but that would piss off alot of the other Arab Countries...could get VERY Messy.

Iraq might not pose a direct threat to the USA, but they can supply chemical weapons to people who would want to use them agaist the USA. There was an article a couple weeks ago where an Al-quida camp in one of the Rengade kurdish parts of Iraq was testing Chemical weapons. The Presdent helt back on taking it out directly since the Iraqi Proper goverment had no clue that is was there.

The upshot of all this is that once Hussen is out of power...we'll hopefully have a more moderate goverment in place and maybe another Democratic Goverment in the Region and hopefully that will spill over into other countries too...but getting there is the scary part.
                  Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Oh yeah forgot to add...how long till this thread gets locked?
                    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

GT98, I agree with the possibility that you're riht, but keep in mind two things:

1. There might be a demonisation of Sadam in order to make the world feel it's more justified to attack him and any other tyrant out there.
                      2. The U.S has oil reserves, true, but a sudden raise of oil prices will still have a huge effect on world economy.

Comment

Using Dogbert's commment :to stir the pot a little" - the US should just invade the Middle East entirely (incl. SA, Kuwait, Iran, Israel, Syria) and take over. Call it Texas East.

Of course we can all just ride bikes, stop eating crap at fast food joints and work on alternate fuels for real (which would go a long way to make earth a better place). But that would mean most human beings weren't the lazy selfish SUV driv'n pasties which they are. On second thought "Texas East" sounds more likely.

Comment

Alternative Energy like Wind, Water, Solar and Fuel Cell are already fully developed it is just that they are more expensive than oil yet and and there is BIG BIG money in the oil bussiness (and the bush family is knee deep in it) so they make sure that these new technologies stay rather unused (i lack better words).
                          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Goldstein, which meaning does your avatar have?

And please - you don't know yet when you stir the pot a little too much. Be cautious, we don't want another locked thread. That aside, if I just take the second part of your post, I agree.

AZ
                            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

So, the target for U.S.A. is to remove Saddam and dictatorship from Iraq because he is a danger to all world?
                              Well, if this is true than U.S. will start war, do a few fake attacks and meanwhile send one of U.S.'s marvellous special super iper tactical troop to kidnapp Saddam.
                              Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Working...
                              X