memory upgrade...what went wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memory upgrade...what went wrong?

Added another 256 stick (same crucial part # ). Bios recognized it (512 now) then the boot continued. After the Win98 screen I got this : "while initializing device CONFIGMG Windows protection error - restart computer"

A couple of cntrl alt deletes later, same results. I power off and restart. Now the system only sees 256K. I have no boot problems, but the system only sees 256K no matter what combination I put in.

It's late and I'm tired, so I have not tried anything yet. Any suggestions? Apart from calls to Crucial and Epox?

See sig for specs.......Goodnight
    P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Try lowering memory timings or raising memory voltage...
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

So either stick will work properly if it's the only one in there, or will one stick work alone, but not the other?
      Does it not detect a second stick?
      What if you use slots 1+3 (or 2+3) instead of 1+2?
      Either the mobo fried a ram slot, or one of the sticks bit the dust...deductive reasoning will tell you which it is...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Kruzin... here's what happened this morning:

1) old stick slot 1 - 256k recog. and boots fine
        " slot 2 - C1 , one beep repeated, no boot
        " slot 3 - C1 , one beep repeated, no boot

2) new stick exactly the same as old stick

3) both sticks slots 1&2 - only sees 256k but boots fine
        " slots 2&3 - C1, one beep repeated, no boot
        " slots 1&3 - C1, one beep repeated, no boot

Epox manual says C1 code means "Auto detect of dram size, type, ECC"

and/or "Auto detect of L2 cache socket 7 or below"

something to do with the slots?
        P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Comment

sounds like a toasted mobo to me
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Sounds like they are of different timing, e.g. one of them is PC133 while another one is PC100.

Try setting them to the lowest of them (for SD - PC100, for DDR - PC2100), oh and also CL value too, try CL-3.

And... I think you mean 256M, not 256K?
            P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
            Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
            And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

On my 8KTA3 I was getting C1 errors. And it did seem to depend what slot the RAM was in, or which RAM I used.

It turned out that my Duron had a cracked core after my last round of playing with it. Interesting way for that error to show up.

Get the RAM into someone else's system, and at least try memtest86 on it.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Re: memory upgrade...what went wrong?

Originally posted by oceaneer
                Added another 256 stick (same crucial part # ). Bios recognized it (512 now) then the boot continued. After the Win98 screen I got this : "while initializing device CONFIGMG Windows protection error - restart computer"

A couple of cntrl alt deletes later, same results. I power off and restart. Now the system only sees 256K. I have no boot problems, but the system only sees 256K no matter what combination I put in.

It's late and I'm tired, so I have not tried anything yet. Any suggestions? Apart from calls to Crucial and Epox?

See sig for specs.......Goodnight
                Well I've got on of those Motherboards with 2 x 256mb Crucial sticks and it works fine. They're in slots one and two. So either you've got a duff stick of DDR or a duff motherboard. Also check the website for the latest Bios as early bios weren't very stable with certain ram timings.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

My experience tells me its the board. I had the same issue with an MSI 745 Ultra before...would only post with RAM in first slot...
                  Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Well, the consensus seems to be a duff mobo.

I really hope thats not the case.....Crucial suggested I modify vcache, and then update the bios if no joy there.

I was not able to try anything yesterday as it was the wife's birthday. She wanted to go out to dinner instead of making me a sandwich while I worked on this problem. Can you imagine???

I'll let you guys know if either of the fixes work. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Succcess!!
                      Well, I modified vcache and flashed the BIOS and all is well. Somehow during this my printer drivers got lost, but a reinstall took care of that.

Comment

Working...
                      X