Anybody up for a challenge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody up for a challenge?

As some of you already know I have this 30mb encrypted WinZip file sitting on my system just waiting to be cracked! I'm curious to find out what it is exactly. The only thing I know is that it's some sort of application and that the password is more than 5 digits and that's it's from the company Beam Software. It was hidden on one of their games in a big pile of sub directories.

I realized that it might take me quite some time to figure it out using a brute-force password cracker.

First off, the details:

Since the file is not originally mine, than I do not mind distributing it to whom ever wants it. But there is one problem with that. I don't have enough web space to upload it to. I would also upload a registered password cracker for those who don't have one. But for those who can find a better one than be my guest. So I need about 35mb of web space to upload it to.

Now on to the challenge.

The challenge is to crack the password. Sounds simple. Once the password is cracked you can do what you want with the file but I do want the password for myself. If I was rich then I would buy a powerful system and crack it myself, but alas my Athlon 1.2GHz C is just not that fast.

For those who have powerful systems, you guys can try cracking it using all printable caracters. As for systems like mine, it would be more efficient to use letters only (upper & lower case). And for those who fall in between, you guys can do letters and numbers only. And for those who's system might be way to slow, well you guys can try and find more efficient program fos us to use. (this is just an idea so far, you can crack it using whatever you wish, I'm just trying to crack it as fast as possible)

For now I'm at work so I can't get this project started for another 5 hours, but I think it might be fun to do. And since the file belongs to a software company and not a single home user than I think it makes the challenge much more interesting, cause who knows what the program is.

Anybody up to it? If so let me know. And maybe we can try and organize this better.

P.S: I already have a head start on you guys. I have it currently running to do letters only at 6 caracter and more. In 4 hours it should be half way done.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Was it hidden there so that people can find it and try to crack it? If so then I'd guess the password wouldn't be random and there might be clues in other hidden files.
    Last edited by TnT; 3 September 2002, 12:49.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

my psychic 8-ball tells me that the password is "password"(without the quotes).

did I win something?
      This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by TnT
        Was it hidden there so that people can find it and try to crack it? If so then I'd guess the password wouldn't be random and there might be clues in other hidden files.
        Hmmm, that is most interesting! I will check it out.

Now If I could only find a way to distribute it to everybody so we can all try and find more clues.

TBD: I think that that's the first password I've tried, but hey, I can always try it again. But you haven't won anything cause I haven't tried it yet!

Comment

Password is Virus followed by a chomp chomp of your system.
          Only kidding.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I would guess "dethkarz"

Rakido
            "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Not "dethkarz" either. If it's more than 7 caracters than I don't stand a chance to decypher it anytime soon.

I wonder if a company will lend me some CPU time from one of their super-computers for a little, to see if I can try and crack this thing?

Comment

hmm, have you tried to ask Beam Software or GT Interactive?

Rakido
                "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Tried no, thought about yes. Maybe it's time i gave then a call! (or email)

Comment

...hidden treasure! I've often thought I had hidden goodies on various installation CDs and screwed around with them only to find out it was a zip or cab of something setup had already installed, or it was something for an OS other than mine. I've screwed up some otherwise good instalations that way too...
                    How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                    Who cares?

Comment

Working...
                    X