Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will my DSL speed drop al ot with a router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will my DSL speed drop al ot with a router?

I have the dlink router set up and will likely have 3 computers sharing the same adsl highspeed phone line - should I expect a speed drop big time if all 3 users a sharing/surfing all at once? Or will it be only minor? I understand there is not a general rule..but just curious if you have any experiences to share.

thanks for you time

Depends on what your doing. I've noticed a substanal drop in performance if more then one computer is using a P2P sharing program downloading stuff. This was on a cable modem with a 1.5mbit/128K cap on it. Also you might lose some performance just going through the router also. My new Cable provider is 10Mbits/1mbit , but I only avg about 8mbits with my Linksys Router/firewall installed. But if your just doing general Websurfing you wont notice a difference
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Where in NJ do I need to move to get that deal GT?
      "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
      Gainward Ti4600
      AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

www.optonline.net

Anyway my cable provider, Cablevision, has been in some finacnal problems and there was some nasty rumors going around that AOL might buy up their Optiumonline branch

I've got their service since last Monday...and its Hell of a lot better then the Comcrap I had and even better then @home that I had last Summer before they went under...speedwise. Only thing that sucks is they dont give you any webspace to host a webpage or pictures.
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Um.. I guess the agreement with them says you can't host your own (like most cable providers), but the bandwidth is certainly there for that if it doesn't.
          "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
          Gainward Ti4600
          AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Working...
          X