Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surround Gaming in Half Life! (well, sorta kinda not really)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surround Gaming in Half Life! (well, sorta kinda not really)

I believe that it may very well be possible to set up Half Life/Counter Strike/TFC/etc. for use in surround gaming with a very minor patch to Half Life. Watch this:

Set the OpenGL Triplehead key to 01 00 00 00 in the registry.
    Then launch the game, and set the renderer to OpenGL and the resolution to 1600x1200.
    Laugh at the result.

What happens is that, when you have triplehead engaged, you can't run a single monitor that high...so, what you get is your windows desktop, with a 1600x768 chunk in the middle being half life (assuming your desktop is 3072x768 like mine is). That is, a little bit of half life is on each side monitor, with most in the middle, and the bottom part chopped off. But, and this is a big but, THE GAME SEEMS TO RUN FINE LIKE THIS. It's weird and useless, but it makes me think that all Valve needs to do is add the surround gaming resolutions to the list in-game, and it'll work fine. Now, games using DirectX below 8 (like Half Life) can't go above a certain resolution, but either they can use low resolutions, or they can go to a later DirectX version or something.
Working...
X