Windows Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Update

I rebuilt XP on a mates PC earlier today and I encountered a recurring problem.

When I used widows update, it crashed IE whenever I tried to install too many of the 'recommended' updates at once. I was able to reproduce this.

I got them installed (after several attempts), but i noticed that it would install the downloaded copy rather than re-attempt to get the file from the website. After the updates were complete the machine kept BSODing complaining of Win32k.sys

I had to use system restore to take the machine back to 'freshly built' and install the updates in groups of four or five. Weird.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or is it just me?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

When I did my re-install, I managed to install 12+ updates at once.

But I have seen the Win32K.sys error, but that was before I removed my defective ram.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

12+ updates! hehe. I am sure there were about 30 or so this morning!
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

There was a lot , I think there was 23 or was it 23mb total? I don't remeber, all I know is I did them!
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I just reinstalled XP Saturday. Did 40 downloads in the first shot just fine.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

hmm... I have had IE crash of different machines. Oh well
            Mustn't grumble. It must be me

Comment

I've done a number of rebuilds of XP. I've always been able to install all the updates at once. IE6 is a little more flaky than usual atm though.

How are you all getting around not being able to install the JVM on demand anymore?

T.
              FT.

Comment

I just didn't do it

There must be a copy of it somewhere! Its only 5MB.

Comment

Tony... Try suns Java VM

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                  X