Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in choosing a new joystick

Hi:

I’ve begun ordering the new parts for my system (see below) and would like to replace my ol’ Thrustmaster FCS Mark 1 joystick with something newer/better. I haven’t done a lot of gaming in the past but will likely try more of it now. First Person Shooters, Racing and Flight Sims are probably at the top of my list.
    Force Feed-back in some form would be nice. I’ve been using Logitech mice and keyboards and like their features/support. How do their joysticks rate with the competition?
    I’d like a stick that doesn’t come with an initially steep learning curve. One that you plug in, configure for all of the basic/usual parameters and fine-tune/tweak later as required/desired. Microsoft joysticks would be OK but I’ve heard of problems with WinXP. Seitek I know nothing about.
    This system will be complex enough as it is. I won’t be enabling any serial, parallel nor any game ports. USB is what I prefer. The only other USB 1.x device I’ll have is a printer which wouldn’t be active at the same time so compatibility/conflicts shouldn’t be a problem. Both main CRTs have powered USB hubs and there will be one open USB port open on the rear I/O as well as the ones on the front of the case that are connected to the mainboard’s extra USB header. Any of these ports preferable for the joystick?
    Price is not nearly as important as reliability, quality and timely non-buggy driver support.

WinXP HE clean
    P4 2.8GHz retail
    1GB (4x256MB) Kingston PC1066 RIMM
    Asus P4T533-C i850e/s478 (on board LAN to DSL)
    Promise Ultra133 PCI controller card:
    -IDE0: Maxtor 80GB 740X ATA-133 7200RPM FDB (boot)
    -IDE1: “ “ “ “
    Mainboard controller:
    -Primary: Plextor W4012 CD-R/RW
    -Secondary: Toshiba M1612 DVD-ROM
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI sound card
    -Analog & S/PDIF to Denon 3802 7x110W based HT
    Matrox Parhelia-512 Retail
    -VGA1: ViewSonic P225 21” shadow mask CRT
    -VGA2: ViewSonic P817 21” shadow mask CRT
    -VGA3: ViewSonic 17-PS-2 17” shadow mask CRT
    -TV: S-video via Denon to 36” Sony Wega XBR NTSC
    Canon S750 BJ printer (USB1.1)
    Canon D1250U2F CanoScan scanner (USB 2.0)
    Logitech Cordless USB & PS/2 keyboard (as PS/2)
    Logitech Mouseman USB & PS/2 Dual Optical mouse (as PS/2)
    Lian-Li PC-68 case
    Enermax EG651P-VE FMA 550W PSU

What stick(s) would you recommend for this system and the types of gaming I’ll be doing?

Thanks in advance,
    WinXP HE SP1& DX9b; Lian-Li PC-6089 mid alum case; Enermax 550W PSU; P4 2.8b retail; Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e; 1GB PC1066 RIMMs; Promise Ultra133 IDE PCI controller; 2x80GB Maxtor D740x 7200RPM ATA-133 HDDs; OrangeLink FireWire 800/1394b PCI card:
    1x250GB Maxtor One Touch USB2/fw external Ultra ATA-133 7200RPM HDD; Toshiba 16x/48x DVD-ROM; Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD?R/RW CD-R/RW burner; Radeon 9800 XT retail; DVI: Samsung SyncMaster 213L 21.3" TFT; VGA: ViewSonic 22? P225f; TV OUT S-Video: Sony 36? WEGA XBR400 NTSC; TerraTec DMX 6fire LT sound card to Denon 3802 7x110W based HT; on-board LAN to Alcatel ADSL modem; Canon S750 USB printer; Canon D125O USB2 scanner; Logitech diNovo Media Desktop (Bluetooth cordless keyboard/MX900 optical mouse); Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless USB Joystick; Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D USB joystick; Logitech 2.4GHz Cordless Gamepad/Rumblepad.

You'll want a steering wheel for racing, and absolutely and definately a mouse and keyboard for shooters. For flight sims/space combat sims, a joystick would be the weapon of choice.

I've heard good things about the Saitek Cyborg sticks - they're quite customizable hardware-wise - you can use them for either the right or the left hand, and they are adjustable for different hand sizes and finger lengths (good for people with small hands - but as you owned a Thrustmaster, I presume you've got rather big ones). Their X45 flight stick & throttle look very thrustmaster-like to me.

If I were you, I'd go to a local shop and take the Joysticks they have there in my hand, and choose the one that is the most comfortable.

Microsoft sticks are quite good, hardware-wise, and I believe their new models don't have problems under XP, though I don't know this for sure.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I have a Sidewinder 2. Nice joystick, to start out with, but it definitely wears out quickly. The Saitek is nice, but depends largely on personal preference: people seem to love it or hate it. Next for me is a Logitech Wingman.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I had a wingman extreme. Really liked its feel - it was just perfect for me.

Unfortunately it developed calibration problems quite quickly (about a year or so after I bought it), and I used it mostly to play Privateer 2 - a game that has calibration problems as well

Newer Logitechs of course use entirely different tech (and unfortunately different stick design), so that's just a little anecdote

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
          I have a Sidewinder 2. Nice joystick, to start out with, but it definitely wears out quickly. The Saitek is nice, but depends largely on personal preference: people seem to love it or hate it. Next for me is a Logitech Wingman.
          I have a sidewinder 2 myself and been pretty happy. I used Thrustmaster products back in the DOS days when Sims used to rule the land..now they are dead for the most part
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

My Logitech Wingman Digital Extreme broke after 4 months. While playing, it felt as if the stick could move just that bit extra far and moved more easily. The game however didn't react at all to any of those movements anymore.

The bought a MS SW PPro (version 1). A very nice and good stick with quite a few controls (rudder by twisting and throttle on a dial, 8 buttons). This stick gave me a lot of satisfaction and I think this is a different class from the wingman above. Still, after about three years of non-intensive use, I have problems with the rudder part of it. There is no resistance anymore in the first part of rudder turning, so I may have my rudder moved somewhat without noticing it (which is a pain in flight....) I guess the wearing out statement may be valid.

I'll track this thread, because I am also looking for a new device. At the moment, I'm saving up for a MS SW Ppro FFB. Don't the Saiteks have only 4 buttons?

Umf
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I was introduced to the delights of stompy-robot action with MechWarrior 4 and a MS SideWinder 2 FFB stick. Can whole-heartedly recommend this stick for use with flight sims as well.

Good solid build, adjustable feedback, lots of buttons, Z-axis twist, throttle, etc. Something to consider - it requires mains power as well. Whatever your opinion of MS bloatware, they know how to make (license) peripherals.

One more thing. I am left-handed, and the grip was not.

A few hours later, with dremel, filler putty, bastard rasp, reversing of motor drive and sensor polarity, rotate grip shaft 180d, add racquet grip tape et voila! No more fumbling at buttons/throttle with crossed wrists. The Saitek sticks are adjustable to either hand, but I liked the SideWinder, and I am an engineer. If it ain't broke... fix it!

Comment

You mentioned racing sims, so if you want a wheel, here's the one I take some time to drool over every week:

ACT LABS: Developers of cutting-edge gaming controllers and home of the award-winning Force RS, RS Shifter and PC light gun systems. High quality gaming peripherals.

Supposedly a very high quality piece of kit.

FF wheels in general are good for arcade and rally driving sims, but if you're more into F1 or GPL-type stuff, you want a very smooth, non-FF wheel - don't know what I'd recommend for that.
                Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Working...
                X