Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV-video : burning to disk ?

Hello,

What is the best way of keeping a DV-video movie ? Of course, one can simply burn the AVI-file to a CD, and use a computer to display it (probabely is the best way to archive them).
    But what formats can be used to make it playable in a stand-alone dvd-drive ? I know about VCD and SVCD, but I'm having my doubts about the quality (will have to test these first). Are there any other formats (e.g. the true DVD-format ?) that can be used ? Where can I find information on this ?
    (I'm currently using a regular CD-writer, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a DVD-writer)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

SVCD ain't at all bad for short projects (< 30 mins, say) and you can try that with your CD burner. It will be playable in some stand-alone units (modern ones). DVD is better in quality and you can experience excellent quality up to 90 mins, very good up to 2 hours and reasonably good up to 3 hours. I use a Pioneer DVR-A03 (now replaced by the DVR-A04) with no problems (other than the cost of the media ).
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Is it possible to write a regular CD with DVD-information (e.g. similar image and audio specs) ? (of course, the amount of data will be severly limited) Or won't the DVD player be able to recognize this ? What software can be used ?

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

It's called a miniDVD or cDVD and isn't compatable with most DVD decks. It will, however, work with most software DVD players.

Most DVD programs can create them. Examples include DVDiT, DVD workshop etc.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Ok, thanks !
          I'll look some more into it, and write one for test purposes.

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

svcd isn't all that bad and in my experiance you an do at least 45 mins or so before the bitrate becomes too high for the dvd player to handle it (since most dvd players tend to only have 1-2x speed for cds) you can check on http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php
            to see the bitrate your dvd player should be able to handle

Comment

Working...
            X