Wireless adaptor for desktop PC / Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless adaptor for desktop PC / Hub

I need to purchase a Wireless adaptor for my desktop PC so that my PDA can connect to it. I am not looking to spend too much money on it

Are there any differences between models except for range/bandwith?

Could anyone recommend a model?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

The Linksys Models I've had good luck with The 2.4 GHz versions are very good, but from what I am told, what is permitted here in the U.S. may not be permited in Great Britain.

There is a brand new version of their wireless AP called the WAP51AB: it is dual frequency (2.4GHz and 5GHz), THIS is the one to get, as it protects your network by requiring authentication and covers all of the commonly available Wireless devices out there.

I have lots of experience with 2.4 GHz Cisco APs and, unfortunately, cannot recommend them just yet; but these are out of most people's reach anyway.
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Cheers MMM.

I am trying to decide whether to get a bluetooth or wireless PDA.
      I was looking at the adaptors to see if that would have an impact on my decision.
      Given the considerably shortened battery life of PDA's with wireless, i am opting for bluetooth.

It's a shame, as the adaptors seem much more expensive
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Bluetooth (for better or worse) is the defacto standard. The new is never cheap, unfortunately.
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I noticed that you have a PDA.

Do you use SD? If you do, how does it compare to CF for storage? I am trying to get away from buying a sleeve for the brick!

Comment

oops, my mistake! I was thinking of Reverend Maynard!

Comment

Sorry, Mate..no PDA yet. I came perilously close to getting one last month, though.

For me, they need to be smaller yet.

Comment

Smaller than the e740!!!!

Comment

Couple of months ago PCWorld had all their SMC wireless LAN stuff real cheap (under £50). Might be worth checking them out.

Comment

Bluetooth is still pretty nasty. If you look around, you'll find a number of reviews where people just couldn't get stuff to work together like it was supposed to. Apparently there's enough wiggle room in the implementations that getting 2 different brands to work together is about nil.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

hmm... at the moment, all i would want it to do is synchronise with my PC. In that respect Wireless would be better, if it were not for the appalling power consumption.

I am really having difficulty deciding which way to turn.

Comment

I have decided on the iPAQ 3970 even though it is Bluetooth.
                        So I will now need to buy an adaptor for my desktop PC.

Wombat: If there are problems with the hardware, could you recommend an adaptor that seems to work?

Comment

You'll probably be fine with the PC sync. But if you're counting on Bluetooth to use your PDA to dial your cell phone for you, or print directly to the printer a few feet away, it's unlikely to work.

I'd still get a Wi-Fi card. They make PDAs much more useful, especially if you have a wide LAN at work to toy with.

Once I have a little more job security and money, I want to get a PDA with wireless, and use it as an uber-remote to control an MP3 server connected to my stereo. I'd like to have it now, but at least I know the longer I wait, the cheaper it will be to do.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

hehe the NAVO software built in the H3970 will help with that 'uber-remote'.

I bought the iPAQ on the condition that if it was not compatible with the bluetooth chip in my PC (which i have not yet bought), then I could take it back. They gave me 28days, which was nice

Comment

Working...
                            X