Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watercooled Parhelia - New pictures (now with ramsinks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watercooled Parhelia - New pictures (now with ramsinks)

Hi again...

Well you may have read my mini-review about a watercooled Parhelia we purchased to evaluate for installation into quiet PC's for audio production. Watercooling may seem a bit extravagent to most but its worth every penny when lack of noise is a concern, and its also popular with overclockers since it outperforms aircooling substantially.

Well we just purchased some additional Parhelia's for some additional systems here at work since the first Parhelia is working wonderfully. As I mentioned in my previous watercooling article, I'm also an occasional gamer and old-school hacker/tweaker that loves to try to break things because much knowledge is gained in the process.

Here are some new pictures for those that are curious of the additional cards that we have outfitted with Innovatek GPU waterblocks and, for kicks, some nickel-plated copper RAMSINKS just to complete the look since they get very hot. Its not likely that these Parhelia's are going to live life in an overclocked state but at least everything can breathe easier.

Also, since my last post generated a ton of email asking the same questions, here are links to save you the trouble in case you're interested where these items were obtained: Innovatek watercooling supplies from highspeedpc.com and nickel plated ramsinks from ocsystem.com

Lastly, if and when an overclocking tool comes available I will share my results with this hardware configuration.

Take care,

Joe T.

WOW ! Looks nice !

MK
    <font size="1">
    Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
    ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
    Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
    2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
    256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
    Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
    ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
    Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
    Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
    Plustek Optic Pro U12B
    HP Deskjet 959C
    Plantronics LS1 Headset
    all on W2k Professional SP2
    </font>

Comment

Sorry I have not used watercooling before, does the waterpump generate any noise?
      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

The pump generates almost no noise at all. This is the case with most WCed setups.

Comment

how much space does it take? Can you still use PCI slot 2?

Looks very professional. congrats!
          How can you possibly take anything seriously?
          Who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by slipknot
            The pump generates almost no noise at all. This is the case with most WCed setups.
            But the fans on the radiator generates how much?
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

In any case it looks good, real juicy! How about a full system picture with this baby inside?
              All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Dude, may I ask how you were able to mount that thing on the "GPU"?

Comment

Arctic Silver Epoxy
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

HOW MUCH NOISE on RADIATOR FAN? ZERO. There is no radiator fan. The radiator is mounted sideways outside the rackmount case so that the radiator vents are vertical and the heat literally rises right ouf of the radiator. Temp difference between a fan on radiator and no fan on it was 3Celsius in testing, so no need. Power supplies are also fanless - covers removed and convection also does its job as the heat floats up and away from the voltage regulator heatsinks. Harddrives are Seagate Barracuda IV 7200's (among the quietest in existence) and if that wasn't enough, they're inside modified SilentDrive harddrive enclosures. Coldplate extruding from silentdrive enclsoure for heat transfer from harddrive is attached to innovatek harddrive waterblocks.

CPU, Parhelia, Harddrives, motherboard chipset all in watercooling loop. Eheim waterpump is noiseless. It vibrates slightly to the touch, but isn't transferring the vibration where its mounted to the case because its been decoupled with spongetape and rubber from the mountpoint.

Okay now i'm way off topic, but wanted to address any "what about this fan.. what about that fan.." I will try to take a full case pic if I get time.

Why bother? Because we can. Is all this going to extremes? Yes. Is it extremely quiet? Yes - One doesn't even hear harddrive when its grinding. The only audible sound is if you put your ear RIGHT an inch away from waterpump when case cover is open. Is it worth it? Yes. I get hounded constantly by impressed visitors or guests to my place of work about acquiring turnkey systems identical to ours for their sound studios. Unfortunately they're out of luck because PC selling is an ugly business and not worth the time or a particular area of interest.

Take care,

J.T.
                    Last edited by testjoe; 1 September 2002, 13:08.

Comment

So how much does it cost overall?
                      My guess is over US$300 just for watercooling, is there any cheaper solution?
                      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Don't the PSU covers provide magnetic and electronoise shielding, whereby removing them could cause longterm "fogging" of magnetic media and electro "noise" that could cause other interference, "unknown" crashes, glitchs, etc.?
                        How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                        Who cares?

Comment

I see this as a potential problem for people working in the Audio business, where you would want absolutely interference-free signals, too.

If you want Power Supplies specifically built for being run fan-less (and outputting very clean and stable signals), Engelking can provide this. Beware, the site is in german (I can help you, if you wish), and their stuff is quite expensive.

AZ
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                            Beware, the site is in german
                            There is a link at the top to display in English

This is probably the page you want :-

http://www.engelking-elektronik.de/i...=natx&lang=en&
                            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

watercooling

I want to buy a watercooling system, Innovatek H2O Kit (Socket 478), for my CPU and InnovaGPU Water Block (VGA/Chipset) for my parhelia.

1: My question is, can I connect the GPU system to the H2O kit? Or do I need to buy a secord tank, pump ect?

2: And what kind of case size do you need for the H2O kit?

Comment

Working...
                              X