How to stop popup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to stop popup?

Recently I'm getting popups at random. Even with just one IE window opened with a blank page. My startup and system seems clean so I assume it's something with IE itself. Cookies and temp folder are clean too but it's still giving me popups at random.

So what's wrong?

Just started recently? Go to www.lavasoftusa.com and download adaware and see what it comes up with. Odds are good (I'm not saying absolute) that some annoying spyware found it' way on board.
    Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

Comment

zonealarm pro will stop popups too.
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

You using KaZaA?
        It pops up new advertisement windows occasionally.
        Try KaZaA Lite.
        P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
        Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
        And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I would definatly use mozilla (or ns7 if you like bloatware), also the tabbed browsing makes your desktop much neater, I only use ie with my on-line banking whos web site says I must upgrade to a newer browser ie5.5+ or ns4.78, mes thought moz1.1 came out last week.

Breezer
          Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

If it does it with a blank IE window, it's adware or spyware. Get Ad-Aware to kill it. Then, if you like, register ad-aware to get ad-watch, which will keep those ads off your system for good.

Then, in the world of popup stoppers, I recommend popupcop. It even stops geocities ad windows and whatnot. Very nice, very complete, and unlike popup stopper and others, actually up to date, and no messy configuration required (a la proxomitron).

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              If it does it with a blank IE window, it's adware or spyware. Get Ad-Aware to kill it. Then, if you like, register ad-aware to get ad-watch, which will keep those ads off your system for good.

Then, in the world of popup stoppers, I recommend popupcop. It even stops geocities ad windows and whatnot. Very nice, very complete, and unlike popup stopper and others, actually up to date, and no messy configuration required (a la proxomitron).

- Gurm
              Gurm, Does it kill user requests to open new IE windows via right clicking and selecting open link in new window?
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                In the world of popup stoppers, I recommend popupcop. It even stops geocities ad windows and whatnot. Very nice, very complete, and unlike popup stopper and others, actually up to date, and no messy configuration required (a la proxomitron).
                Gurm, thanks for mentioning popupcop. A few unique features:

<strong>Useless Warning Dialogs</strong>
                You can configure Internet Explorer to refuse to run Java applets and ActiveX controls. However, when a web site requests one of these features, Internet Explorer displays a warning dialog.

PopUpCop allows you to suppress these warning dialogs.

<strong>View Source for all frames</strong>
                Handy little button, extremely powerful. Press it, and you can see HTML source, external javascript files, and external style sheets for all frames in the current web page.

PopUpCop will display the each source page in a Notepad window.

<strong><a href="http://www.popupcop.com/releasenotes.html">XGuard</a></strong>
                New feature supplements the woefully inadequate "Security Warning" dialog for ActiveX controls.

Display an additional dialog when presented with a signed code warning.
                Show more information about software than the Security Warning dialog does.
                Help users to find out more about publishers via a Web page with queries about publishers.
                Never trust software from these publishers list.
                Don't ask me about these publishers list.
                That's what sold me.

If Microsoft were smart, they'd buy this developer and put him on the IE7 team.

Comment

...or you can use Opera....
                  Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

wow...thanks for all the reply. Seems that Ad-aware is the way to go and I'll give that a shot. I do use Opera sometimes...but it has problem loading some pages. The reason I stick with IE is because I need to access Chinese and Japanese sites on a regular basis. For some reason IE is able to produce the cleanest looking font and manage to format every page correctly.

Comment

<em>For some reason IE is able to ... format every page correctly.</em>

Well, except: http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/xhtml/20011026.xml

You are correct though, there is still much work to do on Opera's treatment of Asian fonts. Mozilla is a bit <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/quality/intl.html">better</a>.

Comment

Working...
                      X