Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolutely Amazing

I hope the subject got your attention.

Its just so eerily quiet in this forum since the Parhelia has been released. I'm Matrox are working on something new to replace the Parhelia. I don't mean in the next 6 - 12 months as we all know Matrox's product cycle is not the same as Nvidia & ATI.

I would like to know what Matrox is working on know and what this new baby will be called.

Anyone have any ideas.

I cant imagine Matrox starting from scratch and trying to build a new core within the next few years unless *converting* Parhelia to DX9 becomes too much of a problem (thats assuming they want to make dx9 compatible). However, I think that a redesign of the core to make the memory subsystems more efficient and to allow for higher speed clocks (without moving to a new process) should improve Parhelias performance.

Regards MD
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

They may try to up the number of pipelines, rather than have 4 texture units per pipe.
      It might be better to have 8 pipes with 2 texture units...
      Parhgelias prob is that it is too complex.
      its fine for those complex games, but the simple ones are the problem!!

A rework must be in order. They have a hell of a chip, and they will be working on a better version. The G400/450/550 all came out a year or so after each other, so they could do the same.
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

It does indeed seem that having so many texture units per pipeline may be a case of overkill, even for some of the newer games (though the Reef and a few other demos seem to do well on Parhelia).

Regards MD
        Interests include:
        Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

8 pipelines with 4 texture units per pipeline should do nicely, plus a redesign to make it run at 333/333, will fix all of matrox' problems
          Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Hello knirfie

Somehow I dont believe that all the available memory bandwith is being used to its full potential. Adding another 4 pipelines may not be the answer. Does any of our more technical friends out there know how easy it would be to add another 4 pipelines to this chip?

Regards Michael
            Interests include:

Comment

id say its a big redesign and not going to happen, we may see some "max" type cards in the next few months as well as 64 meg and 256 meg other than that look forward to .09 micron near the end of next year with all the bells and whistles of parhelia but a rediesigned and at least dx 9 core.(prob even more than dx9 given the .09 process reducing size.
              is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
              Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Yeah, adding additional pipelines is a pretty major redesign, and would require reverification of the new chip core and possible some intermediate pre-release revisions for tweaking.

Taking the current core design and doing some optimising tweaks wouldn't be much of a big deal however. Moving to a new die process is also fairly major, but not like adding additional chunks to the chip.

Comment

Anyone know what processes the G200, G400, G450 and G550 were made on?
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

G200=0.35
                    G400=0.25
                    G450=0.18
                    G550=0.18

pabst.

Comment

Forgot one...

Parhelia=0.15
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

And the G250
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

direct x 9 texture units work quite differently than parhelia's
                          it uses a loop back so it can process more than 1 texture.
                          Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

From Reactor Critical, about DX 9.0:
                            According to one of our readers, shaders 3.0 are intended for NV30 because CineFX specs answer 3.0 demands, while 2.1 are for the updated version of Matrox Parhelia that is set for this Winter.

Comment

...uh-oh...
                              How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                              Who cares?

Comment

Working...
                              X