No announcement yet.

TAKE TWO! - Dual monitors for a Laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAKE TWO! - Dual monitors for a Laptop?

Sorry about the subject pun ==

And this *is* a little off-topic, but I very much appreciate and trust the advice I get here, and this *does* concern video/display adapters, so please take a look:

Is there any way for a laptop (without built-in, dedicated dual-monitor display hardware) to run an expanded(wide) WinXP-Home desktop across TWO (2) monitors?

I realize a few of the latest offerings from Sony. Toshiba, etc *do* have dual-monitor capabilities, but "my laptop budget doesn't 'embrace' that price range..."

Seems to me the display circuitry on most (all?) laptops is probably hardwired to the motherboard. By any chance, are there laptops that have a "video card" (like a desktop PCI card) that could be swapped out to upgrade to a "wide" XP-home workspace spanning *dual* monitors?

And now I'm *really* reaching, but might there be some add-on "outboard box" that could accomplish this? It doesn't seem likely, but it never hurts to ask...I hope.

Thanks a lot,
    Tom Burgess

Perhaps with the upcoming CARDBUS version of the Trident XP4...
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

K6-III ==

Now you're talkin' ! ! ! But I know nothing about it.

Is it a PCMCIA laptop card?

If not, I'm guessing it doesn't hold out much hope for current laptop mobos with hardwired video circuitry...

Can you point me toward additional online info?

Thanks for the lead,
      Tom Burgess

Comment

Yes, Cardbus is PCMCIA - if I remember correctly (and I'm not making any promises) cardbus compliancy simply means 32bit support, as that wasn't part of the origional PCMCIA spec. I doubt you can even find a new laptop that is NOT cardbus compliant.

Another opto of course, is a docking station, which would allow for low profile PCI cards.

Also - going on the assumption that you don't have a laptop yet, then scrutenizing some manufacturer websites or calling them might net you what you're looking for. For example, I've got a 2 year old P3-650 laptop with an S3 Savage IX chip, and it does dual display.
        Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

Comment

vwdrivrco ==

Can you give me the name of one manufacturer of a docking station that accepts PCI cards? That would enable me to start seaching online for more info. Of course, if you have a link, I'd really appreciate that too.

And you're right, I don't yet have the laptop. I'd very much like to know who makes the 2-year-old P3-650 laptop with the S3 Savage IX chip (capable of dual monitors).

Thanks,
          Tom Burgess

Comment

Tom,

I'm sure they make them, I used to always hear low profile cards being referred to as docking station cards.

My laptop is a Gateway Solo 5300. Have you tried digging deep into the websites of some of the major OEMs yet? I'll see if I can dig up any info for you re. docking station vs integrated dual support.
            Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

Comment

Here's what I was referring to in the PC Card Trident XP4: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1681&p=5
              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

K6-III ==

I checked out the link you provided. VERY interesting.

I wonder what the price will be.

Also wonder just how limited the bandwidth would be.
                I just need to move all the "floating tool boxes" from my various graphic programs over to a second monitor. Do you think this might work?

vwdrivrco ==

My primary use will be travel-related, so please don't knock yourself out helping me find docking station info at this point. I *am* interested in them though - I might *entirely replace* my desktop system if I find the right combination, but my immediate concern is getting a dual-monitor arrangement for travel.

Thanks for mentioning your Gateway Solo 5300. I'll look it up and trace it's "offspring" to a possible solution.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

Tom Burgess

Comment

no biggie - I was up all night doing homework anyway, so I didn't look yet

Two FYIs about SOLOs - they get hot enough you don't want it siting on your lap without asbestos pants, and the keyboards tend to be flaky (ie. get used to spell check for the unregistered keystrokes).

Comment

Well guys ==

I bought a Toshiba Satellite 5105-S501.

32MB NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go display providing expanded desktop spanning dual-monitors.
                    P4 1.7 GHz
                    512 MB DDR PC2100 RAM
                    15" SXGA+ screen
                    40 GB HD
                    DVD-ROM / CD-RW drive
                    Yamaha sound through Harmon/Kardon subwoofer speakers
                    IEEE1394
                    3 USBs
                    and believe it or not, an infra-red remote control(!?)

I bought it from PCMALL.com for $1,984 - $100 mail-in rebate + $23 2-day FedEx.

Total cost $1,871 which is a lot, but less than I figured it'd cost, AND not only will this suit my business travel needs, it will replace my desktop system for many applications. If I could just run dat doggone Matrox RT.X100 through it somehow...

Thanks for the insight and advice,

Tom Burgess

Comment

Working...
                    X